Home made thermostat for oil radiator help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myksterx

Reaction score
Hi,

me again 😊

i have purchased an eclipse tr-010x (Hopefully lets me upload downloaded image off internet)

i have the following;

13A plug,

wired with 1.5 3 core wire,

through a waterproof screw connector,

into a sealed box with thermostat screwed to the top.

i have a 1.5 3 Core wire going out through the other waterproof screw connector into a normal plug socket,

my oil radiator then plugs into that. 

ok so inside my box, i have;

neutral to neutral (connector block)

earth to earth (connector block)

(From 13a plug) live to terminal 1

(to plug socket) live to terminal 4

my radiator does turn on, but the dial is the opposite way...

so if i set the temperature gauge to 21c, it clicks off. 

if i set it to 15c it clicks on?

its as though i have it wired backwords?

i did switch lives also and that didnt work, i can only assume im in the wrong terminals on the thermostat

E6B40A3E-6A9F-4C76-8A55-4883DDEB4FBE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look at the circuit diagram the load connects onto terminal 3.
hi thanks,

i just went with the live terminals as i thought the thermostat is being used as an automatic switch so to speak

so going off the diagram and what you see, do i use 1 and 3 instead of 1 and 4 with my live in and out?

Does anyone know what i should do with the connections, i dont want to blow the unit up lol

Does anyone know what i should do with the connections, i dont want to blow the unit up lol

If you look at the circuit diagram the load connects onto terminal 3.

If you don't understand my earlier comment..

Then you really should not be wiring anything up..

As you will also lack the ability to prove the installation is compliant with BS7671 !

Totally understand mate. I did switch to 1 and 3 and it seems to work now. 

i am not an electrician, i am just doing it myself to save a little money with the good help from this fantastic forum and members.

Im only doing things i know cant and wont kill my house or my self, so the bare basics really..

Totally understand mate. I did switch to 1 and 3 and it seems to work now. 

i am not an electrician, i am just doing it myself to save a little money with the good help from this fantastic forum and members.

Im only doing things i know cant and wont kill my house or my self, so the bare basics really..

There is nothing wrong with wanting to save a little money..

But you must remember if you wire something wrong,

it may  just not work, or blow a fuse..  OR.. you could electrocute someone. 

And if you don't understand a very basic wiring diagram that clearly illustrates how to connect up a device,

then its also true you may not be able to identify other potential risks that could cause injury.

We always try and help with our answers on here...

But if someone asks a question where its evident they could be out of their depth..

I tend to be a bit cautious, as I wonder if other related bits we haven't been told about, are wired correctly..?

If you do get an electricity shock it could cause serious injury or even kill a healthy adult in less than a second..

When any money saved may not be quite so useful.

Hence our concerns about just spoon-feeding instructions to everyone who asks a question.

:coffee