Home Network?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppy

Reaction score
I am interested in setting up a home network, with computer points!

Can I link CCTV and other stuff into it, like tv, security alarm etc! Can u run sky at through it?

Do I need both a data and a phone point at each point, or is this dependent on what will be required at the point?

Is cat5 best to use or cat6?

What type of patch panel do I recommend?

Got millions of questions to ask as again I have no clue about this stuff, but need to get myself into the 21ay century!

Thanks

Craig

You can run cat 5e or cat6 for domestic purposes. Cat6 is sexier but also thicker and harder to bend.. Your call.

Some av and security systems run over a local network while others require sole use of a dedicated cable that happens to be cat5e but doesn't go near the router /internet. The usual approach is to put in a central cupboard and run loads of cables back there to use as required..

my advice if you want to do it right with the internet network and CCTV is run a cat 5e cable with wall plate to all rooms ie lounge study kitchen d room up bed rooms and also garage that way you have internet in all areas the garage one could be a WiFi booster like I've done ours here CCTV run rg59 and use either 600\650 or 700 tvl varifocal or speed domes on outside pref with it and get a minimum of 8 channel DVR use a cat 5 switch for your cat5 connectioins and finally plan all your routes carefully so not to waste cable inneccessarily if you need any help just drop Me a line regards Colin

In this day and age I would install double data points to all rooms on same plate and maybe more than one double in some rooms, then you have plenty of options.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

Badger thanks for your offer, I will defo be in touch to pick your brains!

Peeps, it would be lovely to keep this sort of discussion in the main forum for the benefit of all, so please, don't go to PM's unless the info is personal/private, that way we can all learn?

Please feel free to open a new thread to discuss details of each issue/query if you wish.

Thanks.