Homes under the hammer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wozz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
recently i read on here that, the homes under the hammer man was saying the potential homebuyers need to get the wiring checked by a NICEIC electrician.

well thats me out the picture then.

i was ****ed off when i was watching the program and he said it again, i explained to my sister why i was slightly annoyed about him promoting the NICEIC at the exclusion of the rest of us.

She has a bit too much time on her hands (been made redundant) and is very good at writing letters, so she took it upon herself to point out this situation to the relevant people in the BBC.

She has little or no knowledge about the electrical industry or Part P but after a bit of research and absolutely no input from me (i didnt know she wrote and sent it only told me after she got a reply) composed this letter:

It has come to my attention that within this programme, the presenter is discriminating against many people within the electrical industry. On more than one occasion, when referring to electrical work that would need to be carried out on properties, the presenter says to make sure the electrician is NIC EIC registered. This is simply not the case. Electricians that are for example Elecsa registered are more than capable of carrying out exactly the same work. NIC is simply one of the organisations in which Electricians can sign themselves up to, as is Elecsa for example. I now refuse to give this programme my veiwing figure, as I feel it puts many electricians at an unfair disadvantage simply because they are not NIC registered. As long as the Electricians have done the 3 year city and guilds course, and Part P certificated, it just comes down to preference of the individual as to what organisation they sign up to get yearly assessed by. Unless the programme as a whole has a problem with Elecsa, (in which case I would say it is a subject for Panorama), I am just flabbergasted as to why at times of recession, the BBC feel it is ok to discriminate against tradesmen, who are just as capable as the ones being openly publisized on the said programme. I eagerly await your reasoning for this obvious discrimination.

and got this response:

Thanks for your e-mail regarding 'Homes Under the Hammer'.

I understand you feel the programme is discriminatory towards the electrical industry as we tell viewers to ensure that any electrician they use is NICEIC registered, as you feel other organisations, such as ELECSA, also register electricians to the same standard but aren't mentioned in the programme.

While you haven't mentioned a specific episode of the programme in which an incident like this occurred for me to investigate, I assure you that in no way do we intend to discriminate against any electricians who are properly trained and registered.

'Homes Under the Hammer' aims to provide sound and impartial advice to viewers however I appreciate your concerns and with them in mid I'd like to take this opportunity to assure you that I've recorded your comments onto our audience log. This is an internal daily report of audience feedback which is circulated to many BBC staff including senior management, producers of the programme and channel controllers.

The audience logs are seen as important documents that can help shape decisions about future programming and content.

Thanks once again for taking the time to contact us with your concerns.

Regards

Ciaran McConnell

BBC Complaints

Although not technically 100% i thought it was a good effort and made me laugh some what.

Think I might send a similar one after the better homes programme stated get a qualified electrician to do the work but did'nt mention any of the scam providers... surley thats as bad. :(

I too am with ELECSA and get a little tired of the whole NICEIC / scam provers argument...

If our providers pulled their fingers out to push their Names into the ring and let people know who and why , we would have more of a level playing field.

Those of us who bother to do things above board get no recognition at all... Part P ? whats that then ?

I just want to sign off my jobs as cheaply and quickly as possible... especially given the current climate ..X(X( X(

Rant over !! .. for now.. headbang

Guiness Drink

I dont blame the BBC I blame us - why are there so many registered bodies? Why not set up 1 simple single registered "ElectricSafe" scheme? Why not give the public something easy to refer to? See the "Little Rant" post for others opinions - it really is time electricians stood shoulder to shoulder and got a proper accerditation scheme. The BBC is simply a target of effective marketing from the NICEIC.

because we would all end up having to join NIC. maybe still have all the providers, but a main register of everyone and advertise that name and not a specific scam provider

I dont blame the BBC I blame us - why are there so many registered bodies? Why not set up 1 simple single registered "ElectricSafe" scheme? Why not give the public something easy to refer to? See the "Little Rant" post for others opinions - it really is time electricians stood shoulder to shoulder and got a proper accerditation scheme. The BBC is simply a target of effective marketing from the NICEIC.
We would probably have to pay a lot more if it was like corgi/gas safe.

Batty

maybe still have all the providers, but a main register of everyone and advertise that name and not a specific scam provider
We do already have a main register of all Part P registered electricians and companies. It's the government's Competent Person website. It just doesn't have the brand name or advertising that you suggest.

http://www.competentperson.co.uk/

As long as the Electricians have done the 3 year city and guilds course, and Part P certificated, it just comes down to preference of the individual as to what organisation they sign up to get yearly assessed by.
Not true, I did it in 2 years - having said that, the college I attended has changed it to 3 years now.

But - Jolly good show. :)

Not true, I did it in 2 years - having said that, the college I attended has changed it to 3 years now.But - Jolly good show. :)
I think it should say at least a 3 year time served electrician.

one of my best employee's came to me after 3 years of full time college, he had no idea at the start but after another 3 years with me he is brilliant

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of mine was self taught. I then did the 2 year C&G 2330 Levels 1 & 2, which is EXACTLY the same as what the other colleges offer over 3 Years.

Absolutely no difference.

It is even the same course that they do FULL Time, only the kids have more time to mess about.

Yes it does matter because you wont be on the register if part p doesn't apply therefore some people will assume you not competent

Yes it does matter because you wont be on the register if part p doesn't apply therefore some people will assume you not competent
Except if you go search you will find it shows anyone registered with a scam whether they are based in London or Aberdeen.