Hong Kong Scam

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a different one:

The father in law, in his 80's, gets a letter through the post today. Franked mail that seemingly was posted in the UK. In it is a typed letter, fair English but for a couple of slip ups from a guy in "Hong Kong" stating that the writer used to work for "Charles Jones' (not really Jones insert own surname here). When Charles died the letter goes on, he left a LOT of money and this 'Lin Fang Wang' or whatever is trying to trace the long lost family. If he doesn't the letter goes on then the Chinese government will take the money.

It doesn't ask for any money, just gives an email and says to get in touch.

Now the thing is that the father in law NEVER had a relative called Charles. BUT..............he did have a brother he lost touch with who went to Australia possibly. So all of a sudden he's up for getting in touch with this scammer.

Weird, we've told him to steer well clear!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate these scammers....................I ONLY ever reply to the obviously genuine "Adriana from Prague wants to meet you" ones.......... :innocent

Had one last week from China, but in an English stamped envelope.

Letter from head of bank saying someone with same surname as me had died leaving millions in the Chinese bank which he runs. Goes on to say he want to split it with me 50/50 as I'm the only one he could find with same surname, well he ain't trying very hard then.

Only left an email address and nothing else.

Total joke but cost them a stamp and envelope.

I wanted to contact and string them along, but thought better of it and binned it.

Once you reply they will most probably send another e-mail with an attachment of some relevance that you must read.... 

Once opened..

hey-ho they have a Trojan on your computer sending all your login passwords to everything so they can go and empty all your bank account etc...

No need to ask for money..

just wait for you to open the door and leave it unlocked!!!!!

:popcorn

Generally they make contact, and either tell you there's some sort of admin fee of a hundred dollars (or whatever amount) to become registered so you can qualify to inherit the large amount of money or they phish for you personal details ie they need your banking details in order to deposit the inheritance. Either way there's no happy ending.  

I'm amazed that people fall for this type of scam,,, but obviously greed takes over :C
default_God%20no.gif

I'm amazed that people fall for this type of scam,,, but obviously greed takes over :C
default_God%20no.gif
Not necessarily greed.............Take my father in law. One brother died in an accident and this other one disappeared across the world to never be heard of again. He's heard snippets over the years..................the brother was working in Aus, as a fishing boat captain in NZ etc. The father in law is 80 and has always wondered about it, maybe even clinging to hope that he finds out what happened before he dies. They are a bit more gullible through age etc & think everyone's "nice", maybe they're lonely. A seemingly innocent letter / email comes in, they're NOT wise to these scams etc. Not difficult to see why old people get scammed.

Very true who saw the police program the other night about elderly getting robbed the likes of this scum hopefully will get the just deserves in prison.