house tripping

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elec newbie

Reaction score
hello, I have moved into a new house and in the last couple of weeks the house trips when I run water i.e flushing toilet, shower, run tap use washing machine and continues to trip for around ten mins. however, this does not occur every time the water runs. I have completely turned off the immersion heater and the same happens so I know it's not that. iv checked all plugs on that breaker and it still trips I think I have narrowed it down to the water tank in the loft when it refills is that possible would that be an earth leak?

iv contacted the landlord. he sent an electrician who said he had no idea then left. iv continued to contact the landlord but he now won't answer the phone or emails. The problem is I have kids and when all the power goes they get hysterical as it often goes in the night. I'm completely at a loss here.

if the tank has an earth cable and I simply disconnect it will this be dangerous?

this issue has coincided whit a blocked drain in the garden which Is overflowing and flooding the entire garden. is this just a coincidence? again landlord was contacted but he seems to have gone MIA.

thanks for your advice in advance.

nathan

Attachments

• IMG20220104141553.jpg
    IMG20220104141553.jpg
    640.1 KB · Views: 4
Sounds bad from both a tenant and functional perspective, give the landlord notice to fix the issue, then if he/she does not, take it to your local council/citizens advice for how to proceed.

This kind of issue is not one that can be easily rectified as site unseen, that is likely why no one has responded before.

It's a tenancy issue, not one for you to resolve, it needs to be the landlord, legally.

Hope this helps

You need to contact the landlord again and make it clear the urgency.

With the drains issue, it would not surprise me in the least if the under floor void space is full of smelly drain water and if there is a cable or junction box down there that could be under water which would cause your issue.

I have lost count of how many times I have said this, if the electrician could not find the fault, you need a better electrician.

Locked to prevent being resurrected

Status
Not open for further replies.