How can I prove I'm a Spark

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shandy

Reaction score
Hi

I'm a returning spark after 7 years at a desk (piles and fat to prove it).

I have left BT after 20 years and am thinking of going self employed, my question is (finally) If a customer asks, how can I prove I'm an electrician, I have JIB electrician cards from 1983, is there no official ID card? I'm guessing I can provide copies of certificates.

Additional -17th Ed - next week, testing - soon.

Whilst I'm here-

Whats the best van - Transit, Vito, Transporter, carry, a n other?

Regards

Shandy

Guiness Drink

Not sure you can 'prove' your a spark, but I doubt people will doubt you! Think legally the term has no protection so technically anyone can call themselves one. If you're registered with a suitabletable body why not have some cards printed up with their logo on it?

Vistaprint are good and cheap for business cards

Hope you're not so rusty after 7 years that people are doubting your credentials ;)

There wil be someone along soon who can help you further I'm sure.

As a 'senior member' :^O (lol) may I officially be the first to welcome you to the forum! Guiness Drink :D

Well shandy my man the first thing you did rite was to find this site, all the fellas on here will give you sound advice Part P , 17th ,2391 etc, they have helped me loads in the short period i have been on here.

Iain

HiI'm a returning spark after 7 years at a desk (piles and fat to prove it).

I have left BT after 20 years and am thinking of going self employed, my question is (finally) If a customer asks, how can I prove I'm an electrician, I have JIB electrician cards from 1983, is there no official ID card? I'm guessing I can provide copies of certificates.

Additional -17th Ed - next week, testing - soon.

Whilst I'm here-

Whats the best van - Transit, Vito, Transporter, carry, a n other?

Regards

Shandy

Guiness Drink
Hi Shandy

Welcome to the forum

Too much info,,,,i have just had my tea !!!!!

Van ??? depend what type of work you intend to do Dom,Ind,Com

I do domestic and some commercial ,,,Combo is ok for me.

Have a look at this very good

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/misc.php?do=page&template=Business_Page#

Which I`ve got further material to add to.

Vanwise, as Theo says, it depends on what you want / need. I`ve got a fiat Doblo - 50 mpg 1.9TD, which carries everything I need - dom, comm & ind.

As for "proof"; you need to have 16th and / or 17th editions - I`d suggest 2391 also. See admin`s training threads for more on this.

Oh, and "welcome". DON`T drink all my beerX(

Which I`ve got further material to add to. Vanwise, as Theo says, it depends on what you want / need. I`ve got a fiat Doblo - 50 mpg 1.9TD, which carries everything I need - dom, comm & ind.

As for "proof"; you need to have 16th and / or 17th editions - I`d suggest 2391 also. See admin`s training threads for more on this.

Oh, and "welcome". DON`T drink all my beerX(
anything to do with CIS ??

As a sole trader if i asked you to sub for me then there is a CIS issue

If you need an accountants view on this i can ask my good lady

I got it in the neck last week,,,working too much with a mate :^O

Welcome back to the trade Shandy & welcome to the best electrical forum in the UK. :)

Part P & 17th as said before, other than that, theres nowt much else you can do to PROVE you are a sparks, just do what you do best & I am sure that any customer that has seen your work will know that you are a true spark. :)

As for the other things you mentioned, may I suggest a pushbike & a gallon of prep H. :)

As for the other things you mentioned, may I suggest a pushbike & a gallon of prep H. :)
Can anyone name another forum where help for such a wide range of problems is offered? Applaud Smiley