How Can I Trust Electricians Opinions On Rewire?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sieman

Reaction score
The title covers it pretty much, how do I trust an electricians opinion on a rewire?

I'm purchasing a house and the electrician who came to have a look at the property said I'd need a full house rewire. Not being an electrician means I obviously don't know if it needs one and the electrician is clearly in favour of a rewire that'll cost around £3k. 

How can I tell if I really need a rewire?

Get a couple more to look at it BUT don't tell them what the others have said!

did you get a  proper report on it or did he just stick his finger in the air and guess

how old is property?

what does fuseboard look like

any previous paperwork,for it?

any recent building work,been done?

it is very hard to tell from where I am sitting

first... when was the house built?  this will give an indication of what type of wiring and to which edition of the regs. . second... a 2nd opinion or even a 3rd is advisable.  thirdly, what area are you. we may have qualified sparks in you area. 

The title covers it pretty much, how do I trust an electricians opinion on a rewire?

I'm purchasing a house and the electrician who came to have a look at the property said I'd need a full house rewire. Not being an electrician means I obviously don't know if it needs one and the electrician is clearly in favour of a rewire that'll cost around £3k. 

How can I tell if I really need a rewire?
Get 2 or 3 more opinion without telling the others what has been advised, ask what CPS Scheme they belong to and ask for advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
The property was built in 1920. The guy pretty much took a look around and then calculated rooms/number of sockets and came up with a figure based on that it seems. I did get a few photos but the quality is hit and miss, will try get more if that'll help. There is no paperwork that I found and no work in the last 5 years at least.

IMG-1422.jpg.851b0197daa297fbc86701f59cdbdd8b.jpg
IMG-1423.jpg.0560fbfd223af0470e836a7489522dd3.jpg
IMG-1460.jpg.b6438eea5a0312fe0a68e6bc7aef4e15.jpg

IMG-1463.jpg.beefc0b72eda374db934cfc7fb1f7601.jpg

I'm in Bolton, if you have any guys in the area let me know.

From your 2nd and 3rd photo I'd say that you do indeed need a rewire..... I doubt that there'll be any more than 1 socket per bedroom anyway and the amount of alterations that you'd need will warrant it

The property was built in 1920. The guy pretty much took a look around and then calculated rooms/number of sockets and came up with a figure based on that it seems. I did get a few photos but the quality is hit and miss, will try get more if that'll help. There is no paperwork that I found and no work in the last 5 years at least.

I'm in Bolton, if you have any guys in the area let me know.
I'd go with a rewire based off those pictures. 

It does look old, but I cant tell from the pics if it's the existing wiring.  Some are very blurred 

Turn off the electrics and take some nice pics of the wiring going to some sockets and light switches.

Also take a pic of the cables coming out of the consumer unit. No need to mess with the CU though. 

Oh, and welcome to the forum mate.

that lime green switch is likely from 1920.  if the wiring is a similar age, then a rewire is a must. do not undo any switch or socket fronts. you'll probably find VIR cable with the insulation crumbling to dust ( unless it has had a rewire, leaving original accessories. £3000 is a very good price for a total rewire.

that lime green switch is likely from 1920.  if the wiring is a similar age, then a rewire is a must. do not undo any switch or socket fronts. you'll probably find VIR cable with the insulation crumbling to dust ( unless it has had a rewire, leaving original accessories. £3000 is a very good price for a total rewire.

I'll bow to @Telectrix knowledge of old installs.  Don't take any fronts off.

Back to the OP ..... if you decide to go through the pain and mess of a rewire, what you should think about is where you would like to add, move or delete switches, lights, fans and sockets. Then think about aerial cables, cat 5 cable, outside lights, outside sockets etc etc

when it comes to the fuseboard, get prices for a dual rcd board and the option to upgrade to a rcbo board

make sure when you get prices, make sure they all quote like for like

hope this helps

when it comes to the fuseboard, get prices for a dual rcd board and the option to upgrade to a rcbo board

Hi , I would advise against a dual RCD board in  the strongest terms possible.......they serve a purpose BUT  they do NOT comply with the regs. All the manufacturers make them, all the wholesalers sell them, They work, they do their job , but are non compliant. Others may have a different opinion, I don't give a flying 💩, they are wrong

just saying ( Kerch, the fluffier cuddlier side of the forum)

Hi , I would advise against a dual RCD board in  the strongest terms possible.......they serve a purpose BUT  they do NOT comply with the regs. All the manufacturers make them, all the wholesalers sell them, They work, they do their job , but are non compliant. Others may have a different opinion, I don't give a flying 💩, they are wrong

Ok, I'm curious mate. How are they non-compliant?

Every day a learning day..

I stopped fitting dual rcd boards when AMD 3 came along

which reg do you have in mind for why a dual rcd board doesn’t meet the regs?

Some really interesting discussion here, it does seem like the consensus is that a full rewire is needed though. I will make sure to check the board used and avoid the RCD's. Anything else I should be looking out for or requesting in a quote?

I stopped fitting dual rcd boards when AMD 3 came along

which reg do you have in mind for why a dual rcd board doesn’t meet the regs?
Frankly  cant be arsed finding the numbers but

cicuits  shall be designed and installed to minimise inconvenience.....dua. RCD HALVES inconvenience and does NOT minimise it

a fault on one circuit should not influence another,,,,,,,..........dual,RCD turns half the board off, so it has influenced other circuits

Quod Est demonstrandum

Ipso Facto

spaghetti carbonara