How did you start ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subneural

Reaction score
As I've just lost my job in the print industry and theres not much out there at the mo in print or electrics it looks like I'll have to start out on my own.(Conveniently I've just completed my 2330 levels 2 & 3 and I'm already booked for my 17th in 2 weeks. I'm also not entirely green just short of experience).

So for my first post since converting from the 'forum which must not be mentioned' I thought I'd ask how others started out. Full on apprenticeship or in at the deep end like myself ?

P.S. If anyone wants a 37yo mate in the Midlands I can be contacted at [email protected]. :)

As I've just lost my job in the print industry and theres not much out there at the mo in print or electrics it looks like I'll have to start out on my own.(Conveniently I've just completed my 2330 levels 2 & 3 and I'm already booked for my 17th in 2 weeks. I'm also not entirely green just short of experience). So for my first post since converting from the 'forum which must not be mentioned' I thought I'd ask how others started out. Full on apprenticeship or in at the deep end like myself ?

P.S. If anyone wants a 37yo mate in the Midlands I can be contacted at [email protected]. :)
School..

Apprenticeship within the Telecommunications industry (Not BT),

just under 20 years service..

including ..

takeovers.. mergers.. sell offs..

Then Redundancy.... :_|

(or a downgrade of job.. :( which they said was suitable alternative employment.. NO it wasn't X( )

So start doing electrics & stuff for others, to earn a bit of extra dosh, whilst looking for other employment..

Went back college for C&G's

Also did Open university course.. to make myself more saleable to prospective employers..

But nothing offered so thought have ago working for myself..

which is how I started out..

Now part way through 10th year of being.....

Boss/Labourer/Sales Rep/Tech support/Tea boy/Store Man/Admin dept/Customer Services.. etc.. etc.. All rolled into one!!!

:D :D

Thats about it! ;)

I started at the beginning, hopefully I'll reach the end with a satisfactory conclusion..

:^O

Boss/Labourer/Sales Rep/Tech support/Tea boy/Store Man/Admin dept/Customer Services.. etc.. etc.. All rolled into one!!!
:^O

Me I was under threat of redundancy when at a large mobile phone company, had done some odd jobbing for me oldman's mate on sites so had some experience in the electrical trade, so decided to put myself through the old C&G 2360 completed prt's 1 & 2 at night school.

Jumped ship to another employer & started out on my own sparking part time, went back to college completed onc electronics on day release before getting fed up of the cellular world.

Been out on my own for 6 years now having done C&G 2381 / 2391 & now 2382.

And loving it :D

I left school at 16 and gained an apprenticeship (5 years) with Haden Young, then the country's largest building services engineers. Worked for them 18 years then jumped ship and went it alone
And during that time he had so many cooked breakfasts - he had to invest in a wheelbarrow as his main mode of transport.

:)

Good Evening Mr Slips, Sir. :)