How do i do a ramp test on an rcd?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nearly there

Reaction score
Hi

a am new to this website and i am in my final year at college and they don't teach you how to do a ramp test on rcd

can someone explain how to do one for me?

Hia am new to this website and i am in my final year at college and they don't teach you how to do a ramp test on rcd

can someone explain how to do one for me?
Welcome to the forum, Ramp test is not an area covered by the college because it is not a specific requirement of BS7671. The regs only require you to confirm that the RCD does not trip @ half trip current, and to note the longest operating time for full trip current on each half cycle of the supply. So you do not need to note the actual current that does cause a trip. However during fault finding it is a useful test to check in case and RCD is a bit over sensitive. As steptoe said not all RCD testers have a ramp test function. If you are using colleges own test gear it may be cheaper models without any ramp feature. The user manual for the test meter will describe what to do, if its not already intuitive by the name on a button.

Doc H.