How do I fit this pull light switch?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then it is probably the wrong switch.

Tell us EXACTLY how the terminals are labelled on both the old and the new switches.

Is that picture the old or the new switch?

Yes, my worry is that it may be the wrong kind of switch. 😧

The photo is of the old switch. There is an earth wire which is connected outside of the frame, but that should give you an idea of the wiring.

The wiring for the new switch is shown in the manual (https://static.mlaccessories.co.uk/file-download/412754/412754.pdf). There are two live connections (in and out), which has left me really puzzled.

Considering your username, are you uncertain? 

Ill get my coat.

The reason for there being two live terminals is that this is a two way switch. Can be used as a one way switch as well though. when you pull the cord it toggles between connecting COM and L1, or COM and L2.

As you only have one cable to your switch, it almost certainly will be a live and a switched live, rather than a neutral. Has the blue ( or black) wire got any brown (or red) oversleeving on it?

Connect your Brown to terminal COM and your blue to terminal L1.  Since it has an Earth terminal I assume it is a class 1 switch so needs an earth connection, so disconnect your earth (green / yellow) from wherever it is now and connect it to the EARTH terminal of the switch.

Connect your Brown to terminal COM and your blue to terminal L1.  Since it has an Earth terminal I assume it is a class 1 switch so needs an earth connection, so disconnect your earth (green / yellow) from wherever it is now and connect it to the EARTH terminal of the switch.

Sincere thanks, will give that a go.