How hard is the 2391?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSkipsey

Reaction score
My guv'nor has just found out that I have passed my 2330 L2 and wants me to take the 2391 as we have aload of big jobs coming up and I think he wants to get a decent team together for when it kicks off.

Ive told him that my plan of attack is 2330 L2, 2330 L3, 17th ed then 2391 at the end.

He then said that he would pay for the 2391, the only drawback is that if I failed the 2391 Id have to pay him back every penny. If I passed,...then great for me!

So,.....Is it possible to do the 2391 staright from 2330 L2 or should I stick with my original plan?

It is possible to do the 2391 BEFORE 2330 L2 & L3.

BUT - It is a hard course to pass, apparently.

Sparks that have been in the game for years have been known to fail it.

BUT there again, as with all exams - they are only easy if you put in the time and revision.

I wish you luck with it.

I think you require experience, and that should be the minimum requirement you need before you even think of doing the course.

This is my opinion only

Its one thing having the qualification but if you don't know what you are looking at whats the point. Youv'e got the gear but no idea.

That is what I have decided to do Cheggs.

Is there a time limit on the 2391?

I mean does it only last for 5 years before you have to re-sit it? I can't remember. :_|

2391 is a difficult exam] :) ]:) ] :)

3hrs

No books

written (not multichoice)

followed by a 2hr (??) inspection and testing practical

You will need to know the regs inside and out!! And be used to inspecting and testing, so as Cheggers says experience is the key!!

Be aware that plenty of experienced sparks fail this course!!

2391 is a difficult exam] :) ]:) ] :) 3hrs

No books

written (not multichoice)

followed by a 2hr (??) inspection and testing practical

You will need to know the regs inside and out!! And be used to inspecting and testing, so as Cheggers says experience is the key!!

Be aware that plenty of experienced sparks fail this course!!
I would agree with need to know regs good and proper! ;) :)

But I passed 2391 without any practical inspect & test experience...

But I would say a good logical fault finding type mindset is just as valuable..

Cuz after all ....

you are testing circuits & identifying faults or problems relating to the regs that you know good & proper!?? ;) ; ) :D :D

I would agree with need to know regs good and proper! ;) :) But I passed 2391 without any practical inspect & test experience...

But I would say a good logical fault finding type mindset is just as valuable..

Cuz after all ....

you are testing circuits & identifying faults or problems relating to the regs that you know good & proper!?? ;) ; ) :D :D
Hands up - I'm a bit of a dweeb when it comes to exams!

The 2391 is an academic exam which you can prepare for. Do any past papers you can get your hands on. Exam technique (read the question - think what they want - time your answers) is worth 20%. I passed it without ever doing a days work as an electrician (but I am an electronics engineer with an engineering apprenticeship behind me - so have the fault finding mentality!).

We can debate the validity of the exam (I've worked with some brilliant electricians who can't get past the 2381) - but essentially if you put the work in and are academically minded you will pass.

I did the 2391 & found this hard but got through it, I also passed the 17th edition my 1st online exam & didnt like it at allbring back the paper, it made my eyes not able to focus on the regs book not nice,

2391 harder than 17th just

Mine was online exam too at Redcar Tech. Do they do written Regs tests anymore? As for 2391, I'm gathering the old test papers and will do my homework, especially when the cost is coming out of my pocket!

I would not even concider doing the 2391-01 or the 2391-02 if you are only going to do home revision as the past papers do not really help that much. I did 10 of them and not one of the questions were in the exam.

But then i found the exam to be too easy

I've got the course too. But I'll do as much reading up as I can. I dont like leaving revision to the last minute. I heard that it was a fairly low pass rate so well done on passing.

Hands up - I'm a bit of a dweeb when it comes to exams! The 2391 is an academic exam which you can prepare for. Do any past papers you can get your hands on. Exam technique (read the question - think what they want - time your answers) is worth 20%. I passed it without ever doing a days work as an electrician (but I am an electronics engineer with an engineering apprenticeship behind me - so have the fault finding mentality!).

We can debate the validity of the exam (I've worked with some brilliant electricians who can't get past the 2381) - but essentially if you put the work in and are academically minded you will pass.
Concur with dave, and others above. The real trick to 2391 is to know the regs, so revise heavily and avoid the pub for a week or two:_| :_| .

What the questions tend to do is make you work backwards from a limited amount of info which throws a lot of people off the scent of what are normally quite straight forward questions. They also ask a lot of questions about nonsence like what ampage is applied to insulation test at 500V - stuff no one gives a toss about cos you bought a compliant tester in the first place. You are also allowed re-sits so maybe your boss will hold off demanding money back if you pass secong time around.

Do you think that knowing if you fail you have to pay is just your boss making sure that you take it seriously and work hard? Perhaps even if you fail he'd be happy you re-taking it so long as you work good and hard for it.

]:)

My guv'nor has just found out that I have passed my 2330 L2 and wants me to take the 2391 as we have aload of big jobs coming up and I think he wants to get a decent team together for when it kicks off.Ive told him that my plan of attack is 2330 L2, 2330 L3, 17th ed then 2391 at the end.

He then said that he would pay for the 2391, the only drawback is that if I failed the 2391 Id have to pay him back every penny. If I passed,...then great for me!

So,.....Is it possible to do the 2391 staright from 2330 L2 or should I stick with my original plan?
Hi,

The 2392 City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification.

Is now available qualification has been designed to help less experienced candidates obtain inspection, testing and initial verification experience before progressing onto the 2391-10 Level 3 Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations. Research has indicated the candidates that have achieved the 2392-10 will have on average, greater success in achieving the 2391.

Good luck;) :D