how many bites at the cherry?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil d

Reaction score
Ok here we go, we had the people who voted to remain in the EU demanding another vote, saying that there wasn't enough people voted out, for it to count, it was the majority that did, albeit only a small majority,but a majority none the less.

Next we had Sturgeon and her mob, refusing to accept the Scottish independancy vote.

The best one however was the local council who fined a bloke for taking his kids on holiday during term time, he took it to court and won, the council didn't like it and took it further. The result was he eventually lost and was fined about £2k,ouch!

Now this raises an interesting point, if a child's education is so all fired important that they fine you for an unauthorised absence, then shouldn't it work both ways?

If for example I want to take my grandson on holiday on Friday morning then I need permission from the school for him to miss that days schooling, if however they decide to have a training day, or use the school as a polling station, then it appears fine for him to lose a days schooling, surely they should ask me if I mind?

I wonder what would happen if a large group of parents demanded £60 for each of their children losing a days education? After all these training days are usually sprung on you at short notice, what about the inconvenience of having to take a day off, or find alternative childcare. As the old saying goes, "whats good for the goose is good for the gander", if it's acceptable for them to fine you for an unplanned/ unauthorised absence, then surely they should pay you if your kid has to have an unplanned absence due to their training days or whatever.

whilst a majority may have voted for Brexit, not all of us wanted a hard Brexit, just shot of EU commission and parliament.

There is no such thing as a soft or hard Brexit..... this is carp thought up by the media.

If you want shot of the EU commission and the parliament you want Brexit..... anything less than this means we stay as members.

then it appears fine for him to lose a days schooling, surely they should ask me if I mind?
The difference is they factor in these days, they cannot however factor in the days you take to get away on holiday early.

Locally to me most of the schools also run booster days on the inset training days & i believe the schools are set a number of inset days per year by the Gov that have to be met to enable competencies to be kept up to date. 

I am reliably informed that your kids only have to be at school for 190 days in a given school year, if you cant manage to fit a two week holiday in the remaining 175 days then pay the fee (£60 per child per parent) for missing school, choose not to pay the fee it will double, still choose to ignore it  & you will be looking at a court appearance (but only if the correct procedure has been followed by the schools attendance/education welfare officer).

The other way of looking at it, your nipper is off for a couple of days early holls.....then comes back & has to be bought up to speed on what they have missed, this then disadvantages the other 30 kids in the class as they have to wait for johnny skive lightly to catch up.

Or if you are lucky like with the local school here, johnny skive lightly can attend after school boosters to catch up with what they missed when they took an unauthorised day to catch the cheap flight to Oz (must add the teachers do this on a rota with no extra pay or overtime, this is to help those that do not like to help themselves). 

Don't tell them you are taking him on holiday. Write a sick note instead. Simple.
Dave this only works if you stop the kids from snap chatting when they are on the skive............ amazing how many EWO's have social media accounts just to keep tabs on whats going on  :slap  it's like a something out of a cold war thriller, .....works wonders having facebook links showing the family on a beach in Florida when Mr sodtherules is supposed to be in hospital with a cancer scare & kids were to distraught for school (true case from last year)  :mellow: ..school did give the time off as Mrs sodtherules called the EWO on a Saturday giving tails of woe, shame the kids didn't stop whatsapp'ing snap chatting & posting face book pics of the whole family on the following Monday/Tuesday.

A quick text to kids & parents phones soon sorted it  :pmsl1:

All that said since Mrs 107 has worked in schools we have never been able to take a holiday outside of those holiday dates set by the school calendar; if we did we also get stiffed with the fine (yes we are not exempt) added to that the loss of pay if she was to take the time off............You think you've got it bad  Guinness

Cant believe its taken so long to get out the door......................... i predict the whole thing will be kicked about in the long grass for a few years then we will be told we've left, but will remain under a re-branded membership, that will cost us a **** load more than we currently pay.

I'm very curious what the EU have planned for the next 10 years. I heard on the radio recently somebody saying that the non Euro countries have an opt out that finishes in about 5 years..............so membership of the Euro would be inevitable, so then fiscal and political union then must follow.............. 

The difference is they factor in these days, they cannot however factor in the days you take to get away on holiday early.

Locally to me most of the schools also run booster days on the inset training days & i believe the schools are set a number of inset days per year by the Gov that have to be met to enable competencies to be kept up to date. 

I am reliably informed that your kids only have to be at school for 190 days in a given school year, if you cant manage to fit a two week holiday in the remaining 175 days then pay the fee (£60 per child per parent) for missing school, choose not to pay the fee it will double, still choose to ignore it  & you will be looking at a court appearance (but only if the correct procedure has been followed by the schools attendance/education welfare officer).

The other way of looking at it, your nipper is off for a couple of days early holls.....then comes back & has to be bought up to speed on what they have missed, this then disadvantages the other 30 kids in the class as they have to wait for johnny skive lightly to catch up.

Or if you are lucky like with the local school here, johnny skive lightly can attend after school boosters to catch up with what they missed when they took an unauthorised day to catch the cheap flight to Oz (must add the teachers do this on a rota with no extra pay or overtime, this is to help those that do not like to help themselves). 

Dave this only works if you stop the kids from snap chatting when they are on the skive............ amazing how many EWO's have social media accounts just to keep tabs on whats going on  :slap  it's like a something out of a cold war thriller, .....works wonders having facebook links showing the family on a beach in Florida when Mr sodtherules is supposed to be in hospital with a cancer scare & kids were to distraught for school (true case from last year)  :mellow: ..school did give the time off as Mrs sodtherules called the EWO on a Saturday giving tails of woe, shame the kids didn't stop whatsapp'ing snap chatting & posting face book pics of the whole family on the following Monday/Tuesday.

All that said since Mrs 107 has worked in schools we have never been able to take a holiday outside of those holiday dates set by the school calendar; if we did we also get stiffed with the fine (yes we are not exempt) added to that the loss of pay if she was to take the time off............You think you've got it bad  Guinness

all irrelevant if you are a Traveller tho,  :C

btw, we've took our lad out a few times to go 'home' for the 'twelth' , most norn iron schools finish at the beginning of July,

it wasnt permitted by the school, so I simply said if they done anything about it I'd see them in court on the grounds of religious and cultural discrimination,

they allow muslim kids time off for eid , the conversation ended at that.

btw, we've took our lad out a few times to go 'home' for the 'twelth' , most norn iron schools finish at the beginning of July,

it wasnt permitted by the school, so I simply said if they done anything about it I'd see them in court on the grounds of religious and cultural discrimination,

Mrs107's exact words were "Steps will know about travellers allowable days that are given on cultural grounds"

And the religious grounds for days off are not just for minorities anybody can request them. Not saying you'll get them but you can request them.

I've heard talk of if they can't get the Breakfast Brexit they want  they could even stop in . !!!!!

Lets face it , it'll go on forever .  

We couldn't get in in the first place ....had to wait until General De Gaul  was brown bread IIRC.   There was no way he was having us in ....already got thousands of Allied troops buried behind the Normandy beeches without live ones coming over . 

Scoobed

Mrs107's exact words were "Steps will know about travellers allowable days that are given on cultural grounds"

just what have you told her about me?  :eek:

And the religious grounds for days off are not just for minorities anybody can request them. Not saying you'll get them but you can request them.

we were permitted ONE day to travel to NI and back in,,,,,,,,

I said the cultural thing isnt just a day, its actually not either, there is about a week or thereabouts depending on just what parts you go to.
two tone red,,,,,

There is no such thing as a soft or hard Brexit..... this is carp thought up by the media.

If you want shot of the EU commission and the parliament you want Brexit..... anything less than this means we stay as members.

there's brexit with a trade deal, and there's Brexit without. Hard and soft is dumbing down by media of a complex problem.

Don't talk to me about effin so called Travellers ....they are constantly moving around in the North B,ham , Walsall, Sutton , Aldridge area  from one park/ beauty spot to another ,  break down the barriers and 2 days later  move 4-5 miles and do it again .  

They should be called the Untouchables  because the law doesn't apply to them .

On the Beacon where I walk with the little feller they did the same as they did in the park.....litter , scrap,  human ...whats the posh word  ...I dunno .. shytte and toilet paper,  anyway all over the place .   Their last visit to the park at the Brum Athletics Stadium cost around £20,000  to clean up .   Then the Beacon ....then by the local comprehensive   all has to be cleaned up by local councils  and paid for by me  ( and a few others I spose)

Last edited by a moderator:
I said the cultural thing isnt just a day, its actually not either, there is about a week or thereabouts depending on just what parts you go to.
Our not at all.

I work the twelfth week. We all do. We just pray for rain that week. :pray

Don't talk to me about effin so called Travellers ....they are constantly moving around in the North B,ham , Walsall, Sutton , Aldridge area  from one park/ beauty spot to another ,  break down the barriers and 2 days later  move 4-5 miles and do it again .  

They should be called the Untouchables  because the law doesn't apply to them .

On the Beacon where I walk with the little feller they did the same as they did in the park.....litter , scrap,  human ...whats the posh word  ...I dunno .. shytte and toilet paper,  anyway all over the place .   Their last visit to the park at the Brum Athletics Stadium cost around £20,000  to clean up .   Then the Beacon ....then by the local comprehensive   all has to be cleaned up by local councils  and paid for by me  ( and a few others I spose)

Don't go upsetting these poor folk Deke, they have cultural differences,

just because they defficate in public places, fly tip and don't pay any taxes does not mean you can persecute them.

Just think, one day you may need your driveway tarmacing....

It amazes me that if you home school your child/ren then you only have to school them for 12 hours a week so this then begs the question why is it that schools require children to be present for approx 30hrs teaching? Perhaps there's an element of disruption built in to the schooling timetable????

just what have you told her about me?  :eek:
That you have a horse called Hercules & have a fetish for patio's ................ :D