How much for 50kW install

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to install a 50kW system consisting of 200 panels, roof mounted on a new building, gentle slope to roof. Scaffold and access to be provided by main contractor, materials provided by wholesaler/ designer.

Haven't done site work for years, so would appreciate some guidance as to potential pitfalls before working out a price, and would be interested to know if any one has any thoughts as to a ball park figure for work.

^+1 mate, you can always "run" it past Steptoe here!

We'll all help for you to bounce ideas off, even those of us with no PV experience!

Off the top of my head I reckon somewhere in the 6 to 10K is probably about right, working on the old addage of 1 hour per point. I want to go in fairly reasonable for the experience, but don't want to shoot myself in the foot either.

It's a nice big single roof which will benefit from once started, the runs rails will go in quick, and the panels on fast, it's the other stuff, like running cables back to DB that I'm less sure about, and the general demarcation disputes between on-site contractors. But you're right, 1 hour per point is probably too cheap.

binky, Ive just priced a cable run today for a solar PV and wind turbine combined, the cable install alone comes to just a shade under 10k...

and I have priced it up tight to try get some more work from them.

binky, I have a bit more time, was away for the weekend,

a few Qs for you,

has AN other actually done the design for you? if not you need to factor this in as well.

will you have a free run on the days you require? insist on having days with no other trades in your work area, otherwise you need to at least double/treble required timeframe, try to get free days on your own, explain to contractor about damage possibility etc to the panels etc.

lifting gear? will you have a good telescopic driver to get your panels to you?

roofers, are they experienced guys? have they done PV before, or are they willing to get an education as to fitting it? make sure they realise they could generate work for themselves if they can fit these things.

will someone manufacture artificial zones/walls etc for you to get your cables from roof to CU? and will there be a specifically made cupboard/room to house the inverter etc? these things run hot, very hot @ 50kW, no good screwing it to a wooden board...

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:22 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:18 ----------

What's the cable steps? Thats a lot of copper !
its another similar to the 70mm XLPE I posted previously, but this includes the laying etc as well, we have to sort out the plant etc too on this one.

thing is, yet again poor info, I get told 50kW solar PV and wind turbine, so I ask is that 50kW each or in total.

I get a blank look :C , I dunno was the reply. FFS, how can people expect you to size a cable if they cant even tell you the loading.....?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:26 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:22 ----------

Ouch.you doing wind turbines aswell then?
do solar thermal, biomass, ASHP , and wind as well as the PV,

TBH the wind I do is only electrical side, I have no idea really on designing them, just the very basics, they are pretty complex, but from my little knowledge of them they are not worth it, installation, maintenence costs etc far outweigh any potential benefits of them in any sort of sensible scale.

either do it very small scale into battery banks, or go massive, still into battery banks AFAIAC is the only way to go.

Have seen a few wind turbines popping up down south devon - and seen 1 down after less than a year for repairs. Anything with moving parts will have maintenance issues, but a good design should last many years.

Going back to PV I'm basically just fitting gear for a wholesaler, but he of course is using my MCS regsitration! Think I will double price.

Latest posts