How much for a PIR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats the going rate for a PIR (Periodic Inspection Report) ?:|
How big is the electrical installation??

bungalow

house

light commercial

large factory

hospital

office block

caravan?????

e.g. How many circuits / distribution boards??

some charge per circuit??

opps

forgot to say..

welcome;)

How much for the remedials? Is it a loss leader for you? I reckon on 4 hours for an average 3 bed semi by the time you've taken writing up into account. If you are delivering the proper service - what are you comfortable with?

Just to elaborate on my earlier quick post...

IMHO

a question like this is a bit like saying ... "how much is a second hand car?"

there are too many variables to consider to give a one-size-fits all answer...

e.g.

except when going back to a property you have previously inspected...

a PIR by its very nature is an open end investiagtion...

Identify the composition of each circuit, carry out tests on that circuit.

If drawings or clear labelling at CU present this will obviously be quicker than if NO information available.

If an installation lacks certain components.. some of the tests cannot be done. i.e. lights with no CPC..

can't do half Ins' Res' tests or R1+R2.

if no RCD's can't do RCD operating times? So obviously this will be quicker...

A pir on a property that is really naff is a lot quicker that one that is mostly good.. there comes a point on a really naff installation where there is no logic in continuing some tests & inspection cuz you know it is Unsatisfactory..

e.g. say 4-way wylex CU, old rubber cables with Ins' Res' too low & no CPC's comes to a point where no reason to open up sockets switches etc.. cuz they already need replacing anyway!

The purpose of the PIR also has some bearing...

If an empty property someone purchasing.. is really naff.. the PIR can again be quick once sufficient reasons for unsatisfactory no point testing further cuz urgent remedial work needed anyway and you could actually save the customer some money toward the improvements.. which hopefully you can get!

An existing inhabited property just requested cuz >10yrs.. with mostly OK but a few anomalies.. A through test of everything is needed to allow a true picture to be reported. Also more likely to have bits of stuff still plugged in messing up your readings. (that obscure socket behind the wardrobe with a multi-block adaptor with neon indicator in it).

If you find an obscure reading on a circuit that need further investigation..

you have to establish how far to investigate whilst there doing the PIR!?

e.g. one leg of a ring exceptionally high res compared to other legs of ring!

its possible may be just a loose wire in a socket.. open a few more & you may find it.. then again may not.. so extra hour searching or leave for second visit & extra charges??? Need to verify with customer parameters as to how far you go!

If you give a fixed price... there is the risk of loosing money on a more involved pir!

So I always advise customers that it is on a hourly rate with Minimum half days labour... max whole days labour. which we are starting around Theory's

Good summary there Spesh Applaud Smiley particularly the bit about agreeing beforehand the exent & charging out of any remedial work that arises during the inspection that would render any further testing work invalid.

We all know how quickly a suspected "loose connection somewhere" can escalate into lifting of boards, raising of loft insulation etc. :( it all starts to get bitty and protracted. I guess some people treat it as an electrical servicing of the property rather than the snapshot assessment it really is rather like a vehicle MOT. The mechanic may well swap out a dead spark plug lead to get the emissions figure down rather than failing the vehicle but it isn't part of his job description, it's a favour or it's agreed in advance.

The great unwashed claim 'The landlords inspection report' is a made up test by the NICEIC. This is partly true but it does meet the testing and inspection rules set out in the IEE Guidance note 3. I cant quote you a page or section number right now but it states something along the lines of ' A full periodic test may not be needed every time period if the previous report is accessible and no obvious material changes have taken place'. This translates as a visual test may be done every other time.

The great unwashed claim 'The landlords inspection report' is a made up test by the NICEIC. This is partly true but it does meet the testing and inspection rules set out in the IEE Guidance note 3. I cant quote you a page or section number right now but it states something along the lines of ' A full periodic test may not be needed every time period if the previous report is accessible and no obvious material changes have taken place'. This translates as a visual test may be done every other time.
ahh i see! that makes sense now! cheers!

Sounds to me like this "Landlords Inspection Report" is a licence to print money - apart from being a meaningless piece of paper. I dont do PIR's myself - qualified for Initial Installations testing only, though looking to upgrade when have more experience.

Sounds to me like this "Landlords Inspection Report" is a licence to print money - apart from being a meaningless piece of paper. I dont do PIR's myself - qualified for Initial Installations testing only, though looking to upgrade when have more experience.
i thought anyone could do pir's

True, anyone can do PIR's, if not qualified and if not using registered body. Dont think any of registered bodies let you PIR on their forms unless 2391 and inspected by them.

Latest posts