How much?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonkeyDong

Reaction score
He guys,

I dont tend to do much domestic work like this, so could do with some advice?

Been to look at a job, where the client has had an extension built, they have installed the wiring themselves (still totally visible). Consists of one ring, and one lighting ciruit.

They want it finishing off/connecting/signing off.

The LABC application was done in 2006, but they are only just getting it plastered. Cabling is mixed colours.

Existing CU is a wylex rewirable which is full. They potentially want an additional CU for this extension, or the existing CU replacing. Water and gas is in close proximity. The head is on the outside wall, the CU is on the inside of the wall at ceiling height in the kitchen, above the sink where the water comes in. Gas is also just outside next to the head.

Now, which Regs would this need to be wired to? 16th or 17th?

The work will consists of two parts:

Consumer change/additional

Second fix for the fittings

How long would you estimate?

Many thanks,

D.

There was a period of grace for the change over of regs & work underway between the two...but that has long since passed (i think), so it's under the 17th in my oppinion.

I'd change the cu (money in the bank and all that) but if customer isnt wanting any extra costs associated with potential faults on the old installation, install a dp isolation switch on the tails then split the tails & wang in a small cu just for the extension.

How long is depending on how quick you work:D , I'd look at 2 days if fitting small cu for extension & 2nd fix/test inspect.

If changing the old cu it depends on the condition of old installation as to how long it'll take, so I'd bank on an extra day just in case.

He guys,I dont tend to do much domestic work like this, so could do with some advice?

Been to look at a job, where the client has had an extension built, they have installed the wiring themselves (still totally visible). Consists of one ring, and one lighting ciruit.

They want it finishing off/connecting/signing off.

The LABC application was done in 2006, but they are only just getting it plastered. Cabling is mixed colours.

Existing CU is a wylex rewirable which is full. They potentially want an additional CU for this extension, or the existing CU replacing. Water and gas is in close proximity. The head is on the outside wall, the CU is on the inside of the wall at ceiling height in the kitchen, above the sink where the water comes in. Gas is also just outside next to the head.

Now, which Regs would this need to be wired to? 16th or 17th?

The work will consists of two parts:

Consumer change/additional

Second fix for the fittings

How long would you estimate?

Many thanks,

D.
Mixed colours?

I assume you mean original property is red/black & extension is blue/brown...

you dont mean some of the extension wiring has been done in Red/Black as well do you???

the whole timing of this works seams to leave a load of open ended questions for you to decide how you are going to interpret things..

just re-caping on the old time-line????

March04 - March06 both colours.

January 2005 Part P required.

March06-> Blue Brown?

January 2008 17th

whereabouts does this work fall into?

Is it an existing installation or uncompleted?

If the cables have never been connected or tested or made live then has any work every been completed...

or is it still ALL classed as new job work??

If some of the "new" circuits are wired in Red/Black...

I cant see how you can justify use of these colours on a 17th Cert?!

Anyway..

back onto costs..If you are doing a full CU change, I always allow a whole day as minimum..

must allow for encountering dodgy or problematic bits on the existing circuits!

I think I would allow again a day for the other bits...

must allow for thorough testing of all of the cables you didn't install

gut feeling as M107 says I think I would have to plump for 17th!!

and do any changes necessary.. (even modifying existing new wiring if needed)...

Its your name on the cert..

I thought I had heard that it depends which version of the regs the installation was planned to -and in this case that's surly 16th?

I thought I had heard that it depends which version of the regs the installation was planned to -and in this case that's surly 16th?
Yes.... but there is a reasonable timespan in which to get things completed.

you could keep saying oh I planned this work three years ago!

so I'll keep to the old regs! ; \

There aren't many installations works within a Domestic environment that would span for 12months +!! :eek:

? ?:| :|

Yes.... but there is a reasonable timespan in which to get things completed.you could keep saying oh I planned this work three years ago!

so I'll keep to the old regs! ; \

There aren't many installations works within a Domestic environment that would span for 12months +!! :eek:

? ?:| :|
No - I can see that. But in this case the building control aplication was made in 2006, documentary evidence when the installation was designed and (possibly) started?

If they were doing the work gradually as funds allowed?

No - I can see that. But in this case the building control application was made in 2006, documentary evidence when the installation was designed and (possibly) started?If they were doing the work gradually as funds allowed?
2006?

Therefore Part P applicable...

so should have organised who is signing off the work...

& thus who is designing & installing it?

Domestic EIC don't have individual signing off boxes? :)

person designing the installation will know which regs they designed too? ;)

There was a grace period for 17th, for works started prior to jun `08. However, it`ll now be 17th cert. As SL says, I hope none of the "new" circuits are wired red/black, or you`ve got problems.

Unless you`re DI only, I`d be tempted to issue full EIC, with seperate boxes for design & construction. You only sign for Inspect & test.

As for building reg - definitely notifiable.

as above split the tails and new cu for the extension. 17th and notify.

explain to the customer you cant notify work that you have not installed ie: mixed colours/cables in walls/voids etc.

periodic on the old board and make good.

highlight all works on your invoice with reference to alterations and additions to the old circuits etc.

upgrade old board to present regs MET and main bonds and tails if required.

job done. :)

hi guys,

Sorry for the slow reply...

The application was made before part p. The "new" wiring does consist of mixed colours. - it appears the wiring was done over a period of time. This job entails several issues, which reg version, colours, etc. I'm tempted to see if i can get the labc to sign it off under the application - it'll be there name on the certificate then :D

D.