How to fit a conservatory fan ?

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

norv

Reaction score
C'mon then lads and lasses, how am I supposed to fit a fan/light to a conservatory roof. Took down about a foot square of plastic to find an inch square of metal with a small threaded hole in the middle ? Got to go back next week to 2nd fix. Customer says he's bought the fan but the builders got it.

Hopefully the fan is compatible with the conservatory............. ;)

Reaction score
C'mon then lads and lasses, how am I supposed to fit a fan/light to a conservatory roof. Took down about a foot square of plastic to find an inch square of metal with a small threaded hole in the middle ? Got to go back next week to 2nd fix. Customer says he's bought the fan but the builders got it.Hopefully the fan is compatible with the conservatory............. ;)
No more nails? :|

Flying Scotsman

Electrician
Reaction score
Nah - superglue`ll be better :) Seriously, I`ve seen a thingie for doing just this - just can`t remember where! I`ll get back to you when I`ve had a thunk. :)
bluetak as it means it is easier to remove when you move house ;) :^O

sirsparkabit

Reaction score
When i fit these i normally ask the fitters to slide a piece of timber into the channel on the ridge section before they fit the plastic trim,works fine. ;)

mapleford

Reaction score
Connie fitters would normally pull a 3 core thro for the fan on a new install then you just drill and screw into the metal, sounds easy but is a right royal pain in the posterior to do! Make sure the fan has a long enough drop if the connie has an apex!

Reaction score
Cannot find site where I saw this doofus:( sorry!

Nice healthy self-tapper & thick washer, would be my approach, if I didn`t have a "doofer" (which I don`t:_|).

[email protected]

I`d also be checking for a "drop-bar", dependant on the size and shape of the conservatory roof.

Sorry couldn`t be more help. You could always attach it to a skyhook; or feed it with SWA, and tether it to the armour? That might work] :) .

Flying Scotsman

Electrician
Reaction score
just use a sky hook and while your looking for that go to your van for a long weight :^O :^O:^O:^O

sirsparkabit

Reaction score
just use a sky hook and while your looking for that go to your van for a long weight :^O :^O:^O:^O
Dont forget the Tartan paint while your there:^O

jckent

Reaction score
A friend of mine owns a boat company in Thailand,

Just finished building this catamaran.

1" marine ply shell,coated in fibreglass.Just painted-Nice.

went in the next day to check paint dried ok. Found 12 6" nails sticking through the hull.

Went inside found a Thai worker had nailed the shelves up inside.

Talk about going mad!!!!

Froom then on every morning he had to check tool boxes for nails and screws.

Heheheheheh.

Reaction score
Oh, dear:(

I suggest he thai`s a thorther nail nexth time. :D

(got to look on the "funny side" - else you`ll just give up altogether.)

And if it hasn`t got a funny side............Make one.

n.b. Isn`t the "tartan paint", the stuff you open with the "glass hammer"???????

Making sure that the glass washer hasn`t fallen off, of course.

(don`t mind me - I`ve got an alcohol shortage in me brain - I don`t drink the stuff on mondays, and it makes me a bit odder than usual!)

bob

Reaction score
long weights do exist in sash windows