How to get a start in maintenance?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ger

Reaction score
Hi just wondering how i should go about getting a job in maintenance? All the jobs that i see advertised in london are for people with previous building maintenance experience. I qualified in Ireland and have 6 years experience with over 2 years as a foreman on large construction sites. Any tips on getting work here would be welcomed?

They may advertise that they need someone with experience, but they cannot always get someone with experience. I would still contact the employers and tell them what you do know, and try to spice it up a bit, and what quals you have telling them about any testing you have done and what results you may expect, even if this has only been in your own house (dont tell them that). Most maintenance is quite easy anyway, changing lamps and sockets, and fitting extra sockets and fused spurs, so dont expect things to be too difficult, im sure you can do it if you have a basic background with quals.

Sound, what about back up generators, ups systems and BMS etc.. All these seem to be requirements for maintenance jobs. Although i have experience installing and wiring all of these the commissioning and maintenance was always subbed out. How difficult are these to maintain? Where can i learn?

This is an area that always frustrates me. I'm sure many of you like this sort of work..

I've been here but in a different trade, it's the down time that peed me off, so to speak..

:(

hi ger, Im assuming you mean southern Ireland?

have you newly moved to UK?

if so your best bet is prob to get your quals certified as equivalents first, do you have your CSCS yet?

maintenance in England is a different ball game to Eire TBH, its a lot of paperwork and doing everything strictly by the book.

you will prob/deffo need your ECS or even pref IOSH. H&S is a major issue in England, no matter whether it is maintanence or site work.

good luck anyway buddy.

cheers mate, yea from the south, have sent off for my cscs, anyone know would i have to do the 3 day or the 1 day course for the 17th edition? Have done the irish equivalent to your 16th edition, a RECI course on testing and inspection and one on cat 5 and cat 6, would employers acknowledge any of these?

cheers mate, yea from the south, have sent off for my cscs, anyone know would i have to do the 3 day or the 1 day course for the 17th edition? Have done the irish equivalent to your 16th edition, a RECI course on testing and inspection and one on cat 5 and cat 6, would employers acknowledge any of these?
the ones in the know would ger,(tho the test and inspection wouldnt count(it must be to UK BS7671, ie 2391),

H&S is the biggest issue Ive always come across with diff certs than the country you are working in.

tho i have had a few probs sometimes with various papers i have some aint UK ones, tho I am slowly putting that right as i go along.

Ive never had any probs here just working sites tho without my C&G as long as Ive had the equivalents, but IMHO its getting more and more C&G or nothing in England.(hopefully 17th/harmonisation should change that.!.)

Im from Antrim originally Ger tho been gone now for 20yrs, 15th mine are, but i have various papers from kiwiland,spain,germany etc so i get pretty much covered, the 17th should help you a lot now with the harmonisation its closer to eire,(i done 2 years in cork, 6months dublin).

if you get any hassle just quote the EU bumf thingy, Im not sure the number, but im sure you could find it if you have a search.

as long as you have ECS or IOSH(better TBH) then you should be OK.

Sound advice bud, one other thing, would i need to do the 3 day course for the 17th edition or would i be able to the one day update if i went to NARIC and got my qualifications credited?

Sound advice bud, one other thing, would i need to do the 3 day course for the 17th edition or would i be able to the one day update if i went to NARIC and got my qualifications credited?
sorry buddy,

have no idea what NARIC is,

tho the way I understand it is if you have a 16th, or EQUIVALENT, then you can simply do the 1 day upgrade.

it really seems to be at the discreetion of the course providers themselves TBH.

have you tried anyone yet?

if ypou think you can pass it easy enuff(and its open book!),

then just try push them for the 1dayer, and bluff them(if need be) that your quals are acceptable as EU 16th.

bet this advice will **** some1 off.! :^O :^O:^O ]:)

no reason that a non english qual isnt as good as(or better) than any C&G i have seen yet,

There the people who translate your qualifications from one country to the equivalent for another, for a fee of about 50 quid of course, but if helps sure its worth it. Will make some calls tomorrow and will hopefully be a bit wiser. sound.