How to mend SWA? ( Using self amalgamating tape )

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAAMUSEMENTS

Reaction score
Sliced the spade through the outer sheath of some SWA while digging it up in order to reposition it around the garden.

There is a narrow flap still joined at one end, about 2 inches long, that peeled back.

Can it be made good? I don't want to have to joint it or run a whole new length... I remember someone mentioning an electrical grade, amalgamating tape which might be suitable. Obviously I don't want to just wrap a bit of insulating tape round...

:yellow card

Last edited by a moderator:
It's only an idea but what about a cold pour joint ? It would be a permanent join as such as You only appear to have damaged the outer sheathing the cold pour joint would at least protect the steel wire armour if you see what I mean . I'm sure someone will have a simpler solution for You :run

If I'm understanding you right, you simply cut through the outer insulation, and that is what's flapping. The spade did not go through the steel armour, it did it's job and prevented that.

If so, then all you need to do is waterproof the cut section. Several wraps of self amalgamating tape should do the job. Self amalgamating tape is designed for waterproofing joints unlike ordinary PVC tape.

Self amalgamating tape is a LOT cheaper than the product linked in the post above.

If you have never used it, as you wrap the tape you pull it and stretch it a bit. Then you will find it sticks to itself forming a waterproof wrap that's impossible to unwrap.

Yep no damage to steel armour so waterproofing is all that is needed, I will pick up some of that tape.

That's all the confirmation I needed, thanks all.

:D

Get some good quality self amalgamating tape. Wrap it round the SWA starting and finishing at least 30mm each side of the damage.

Wrap the tape around at an angle of about 30 degrees and pull on the tape sufficiently to reduce the width by about 1/3rd as you wrap. Overlap 50/50 as you go. Once you've gone one way, come back the other way with the angle of application opposing the first wrap.

The side you remove the protective layer from (like on a plaster) should go on the inside of the wrap.

It goes without saying that the cable should be bone dry before you wrap.

After a few hours you will have a solid rubber sheath over the damaged area.

Thought this a useful topic to stick. Good examples of waterproof amalgamating tape and useful tips how to apply & avoid moisture ingress. Especially for those less experienced or familiar with self amalgamating products.

Doc H.

Thought this a useful topic to stick. Good examples of waterproof amalgamating tape and useful tips how to apply & avoid moisture ingress. Especially for those less experienced or familiar with self amalgamating products. Doc H.
I agree, a very good how to guide, given by PC Electrics.

Yes absolutely. I did a search and couldn't find anything specific before I posted this, so it would be a useful sticky.

Sliced the spade through the outer sheath of some SWA while digging it up in order to reposition it around the garden.There is a narrow flap still joined at one end, about 2 inches long, that peeled back.

Can it be made good? I don't want to have to joint it or run a whole new length... I remember someone mentioning an electrical grade, amalgamating tape which might be suitable. Obviously I don't want to just wrap a bit of insulating tape round...

:yellow card
few options for stuff like this

resin joint around damage

self amalgamating rubber tape (may also be worth covering in electrical tape aswell). cheaper stuff will be OK for waterproofing, but Scotch do make an insulation version

LLFA tape (already linked to by GH). easy to use. you can also get smaller packs of 1m

(note: for both of above, its best starting in the middle, working to one side, accross to other, then back to middle)

or wrap around heatshrink

I wondered why I couldn't find any in the Screwfix catalogue!

That's a damn good price, bet it's not in stock at the trade counter though...

Latest posts