How to recover data from an old Hard drive?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solder melting point is something like 300 deg C so you are not going to reflow joints in an oven. Even if you could get it to the melting point of solder you'd more than likely damage some of the components.

All you'll do by putting it in the oven at a low temperature is drive out any moisture that may have got behind any of the components

Solder melting point is something like 300 deg C so you are not going to reflow joints in an oven. Even if you could get it to the melting point of solder you'd more than likely damage some of the components.All you'll do by putting it in the oven at a low temperature is drive out any moisture that may have got behind any of the components
You ain't seen how Mrs SL cooks then!!!:slapROTFWL

{actually Mrs SL is a very good cook...

:worship

beats me hands down!!! :( }

If you google the subject you'll see its a proven way of resurecting dead motherboards....iirc pc board solders are quoted at around 250

Last edited by a moderator:
Know nothing about hdd or repairing them, but you can repair play station 3s by putting them in a pillowcase and heating them with a hair dryer you don't even have to take them apart, YouTube it. I don't think it's fake I tried to prove it buts my I mean her hair dryer cut out too much. Apparently it heats to paste between components rather than the solder as its the paste that separates.

Know nothing about hdd or repairing them, but you can repair play station 3s by putting them in a pillowcase and heating them with a hair dryer you don't even have to take them apart, YouTube it. I don't think it's fake I tried to prove it buts my I mean her hair dryer cut out too much. Apparently it heats to paste between components rather than the solder as its the paste that separates.
+1

Sounded a bit far fetched TBH but a guy at work has done similar to his PS3 twice now and another lad I think his Xbox. The PS3 lad asked to borrow my HOT AIR GUN - note a tad "hotter" than a hair dryer. Something to do with you take it apart and redo the heat transfer paste (the best paste is called "silver" something apparently). Then you blast a certain area of the board with the hot air gun for X seconds and hey presto it's back working. That he's done the PS3 twice now is maybe telling that it's NOT a long lasting repair but he did mention using paste from Maplin rather than this "silver" stuff and wondered if that was anything to do with it.

Sounds to me like the ps3 version is more to to with thermal safety cutout problems than with broken electrical circuits....another way to improve cooling is to polish/lap underside of heat sink with very fine jewelers grinding paste...increases surface contact area by reducing pits in aluminium heatsink.