I don't BELIEEEEEEEVE IT!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPECIAL LOCATION

Trailer Boy - Electrician.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a word of caution to those who just make quick assumptions about an installtion...

Start of the week I did a bit of work at a property that the guy had moved out of..

been trying to sell.. no luck... so going to rent it out!

The guy had been ask by the letting agents to get the gas & electric all checked & up to date..

So I got a call to pop round & check the electrics & do a few improvements to ensure all safe etc.. for prospective tenants..

No bonding to gas pipe.. Fitted new bond, all good.

TT installation with old voltage operated Earth breaker... replaces with nice new RCD, all good.

Investigating the cooker circuit...

and I find Two double sockets & a fused spur all connected to the cooker circuit..

including a free standing electric cooker, grill/oven/hob!!!!! :eek: :O

speaks to the guy... apparently there used to be a Gas cooker in years ago..

this was swapped back to electric at some stage (I think he did it himself!!)

obviously whilst gas the "old cooker" supply was used for sockets & spur..

BUT

when electric cooker put back.. Sockets still left connected!!! :_| :_| :_|

Split the sockets back off and join them onto the main house ring.. All good!

While I am doing this bit the guy has to leave to go back to his new home 100+ miles away..

leaves me with key to finish off my testing etc..

After lunch I am checking the rest of the sockets.. (1xRing & 2xRadial circuits)....

I find 3 double sockets in a sort of loft conversion bit but they stay live when all socket circuits switched OFF!????? :eek: ? :|

Plugged in my little fuse finder transmitter.. back to the fuse box.. and find...

They are connected to the SHOWER CIRCUIT!!!!!!X( X( :( :( :(

Now I can give the benefit of the doubt for how the cooker sockets were added on! BUT joining sockets onto the shower!!!

I DON'T BELIEEEEEEEEEVE IT!!!!

luckily there was access behind some boards in the loft I could disconnect the cables off..

and blank plate all the holes in the walls...

once again goes to prove you can NEVER assume anything is correctly wired until you have tested it yourself!!!!! :| :|

DIY BOB!! git!!!! phtt! :| :(

:_|

Here Mate, Have one of these.... Guiness Drink Hell, Have four... Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

:_| Here Mate, Have one of these.... Guiness Drink Hell, Have four... Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink
Noooooooo.........!

Four beers! Spec's is going to be 'holding forth' all night now! X(

Those are the very worst......

they buy the house to rent thinking easy money

lucky the letting agency in this case are good

and get you to go out to check it

a nice mess

lucky for the tenants you were on the ball

Fair Play to you.. ;)

Just think how many jb's are under the floorboards though:O

Not over her, they don`t. First one, then the third; and second & fourth (together) last.Wierds, huh??????
Very. Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

Not over her, they don`t. First one, then the third; and second & fourth (together) last.Wierds, huh??????
No Mate, That's because you had too many of them yourself. You are probably seeing 8 - 12 glasses on your screen right now. :^O