I don't exist !

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last month I mentioned problems trying to  Self Assess on line  with Gov.UK   .

My accountant always did this  but with my reduced earnings these days  I 'm trying to avoid paying him  & submit it myself .  

Just spent many fruitless  hours  trying to create a Personal Tax Account  because they  cannot confirm my identity .     

Although they have my  UTR     / my NAT.INs No.  /  various  HMRC cards issued with my photo  such as 714  /   Construction Industry Scheme card  ,  my email address / my home address/    etc etc etc   they cannot confirm my identity .   

I wish I owed them some tax   ....I could then say  " How come  you  know who I am  to send me your tax claim but cannot identify me for  online Self Assessment .  "   

Their system uses two criteria  ...Passport  &  Credit Search .         I have no passport  , I have no credit history ,  I  work , earn money , save some of it then buy things  , no HP , pay credit card every month ,   pay my bills on time ,      I do not exist .  

I 'm also considering a letter asking  that if they cannot verify my identity  ... which is to protect against identity fraud ....   I assume I am no longer liable to pay tax  because how would they know it was me sending them a cheque .        

I have now printed off a Self Assessment form  to fill in by hand and post  ...........    then I think  ......  it lands on someone's desk  but how do they know I am who I am ...or am I ?    I am not a number , what is this village I cannot escape from  , I 'm not number 6  I'm a free man !!!    

Sounds to me as if your accountant has caused you some issues with how he/she was submitting your returns?? 
however your lifestyle choices are excellent, live under the radar and be a free man. That’s the way to go.

Where is no6 these days?? 

I wouldn’t submit a SE this year. Wait and see if they write to you or your accountant. Then slap them with the poverty number from COVID and their apparent incompetence to maintain suitable records caused you significant hardship etc, you may find they’ll give you the money ‘free’ utilise the old social media debate that you’re planning to have about it. 
  :C  

Didn't HMRC write to you at the beginning of the tax year?

If you paid tax last year, surely they have told you how much they expect this year? 

Sounds a bit of a mess

What does your accountant suggest?

Sounds a bit of a mess

What does your accountant suggest?
Its not a mess  ,   I have no tax to pay .  I no longer pay NI .       But as I said  , turnover is not much but  I still have to submit a Self Assessment or be fined by HMRC  .   Looking at my figures I'd say  I won't be paying any tax .    The only mess is by HMRC  who carry full records of my  past employments PAYE   and  27 yrs  Self Employment ,  they even have some  trigger words for proving who I am  ...as in my Mother's maiden name  and some others .... they don't use them in this case  because  its all done by computer .  

There is a Webchat  to use when theres a problem  ....I went into that  and after two odd answers   I asked it if it was a human being ....it said  no  .   I signed out .   

Why can't HMRC use your driving licence records?
No idea , they don't ask for it .    You can only respond to ticking boxes .  

Mate, don't take this the wrong way but is all your pension income and SE income total below £12500 ?
No its above ...before tax deductions  & wife's unused tax limit .  etc 

I still have to submit a SA    or be fined  .        Like the old scam  ...CIS  scheme .......Jeeeez!  Don't ever employ anyone . 

No idea , they don't ask for it .    You can only respond to ticking boxes .  

No its above ...before tax deductions  & wife's unused tax limit .  etc 

I still have to submit a SA    or be fined  .        Like the old scam  ...CIS  scheme .......Jeeeez!  Don't ever employ anyone . 
MTD is coming to us SE people in, I think, 2 years, so 4 digital ONLY tax returns every year