I Guess This Is A New Version Of The Police Magazine Scam?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
email today claiming to be from Lyn.Whitehead at lancashire.pnn.police.uk

Title  INVOICE FOR PAYMENT - 7500005791

The content of the email reads:

Hello

Please find attached an invoice that is now due for payment.

Regards

[SIZE=12pt]Lyn[/SIZE]

Lyn Whitehead (10688)

Business Support Department - Headquarters

Email: Lyn.Whitehead at lancashire.pnn.police.uk
********************************************************************************************

This message may contain information which is confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message and any attachments, without retaining a copy.

Lancashire Constabulary monitors its emails, and you are advised that any e-mail you send may be subject to monitoring.

This e-mail has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

********************************************************************************************

I haven't and won't open the attached document entitled Invoice 7500005791.doc

Neither did I send a message received receipt.

EDIT: can one of the mods correct the miss spelling of Police in the title please.

Last edited by a moderator:
i got that exact same email today about 20 times between 4 email addresses.

and before anyone blames the forum, 3 of the email addresses have never been used here and no-one here knows them, but none were sent to the other 10+ email addresses on the same mail server

never looked at the document, but i get 1 or 2 similar almost daily from a different email address & IP

There's hundreds of these, from all sorts of genuine companies but the theme is the same. "Here is your invoice/order notification/bank receipt" with an attached document of some description, usually a .doc or something recognisable.

As always, anything you are not expecting do not open it or any attachments.

The IP address the emails originate from could well be a compromised mail server so not necessarily any direct connection to the scammers.

I'm guessing that its not the real location of origin, just the first place it popped up usually some backwards place with poor infrastructure makes it harder to trace back to the source.

Least thats how it used to work back in the day's of late nights phoning African telephone exchanges :D