I know we should embrace our EU friends

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robojin

Reaction score
Did a favour for a mate yesterday (replace element in a cooker) moving kitchen table to make some space and discovered this :eek:

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu178/robojin/P150409_1519.jpg

where does the other end of this go I ask (as a 2 year old wanders past)

"Ah it's aright it's disconnected, but runs up inside the wall to a junction box under the plaster that's no longer connected, the Polish electrician put in the wrong place!" no ****e I say, then why not remove it completely?, because he'd have to replace the plaster!, oh well!!! :|

Then on a job today to fix a couple of dimmers I'm having a shufty in the loft as most of the firelighters don't work

I find this: http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu178/robojin/P160409_1019.jpg

Yes I count 9-10 T&E into this junction box too, installed by a (you're guessed right) a Polish electrician

Then looking for the 18 of these puppies (240v 50w GU10), 9 above each bedroom running off 2 gang dimmers I find http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu178/robojin/P160409_1020.jpg can't wait for the 400mm of loft insulation to go in Pray

amazingly the guy used 2.5 to each, at one of the dimmers he'd changed the 250-300w pots for two 400w pot splitting 4/5 (are 2gang at 250-300w for a reason me thinks), on the other he'd left a 400/250w combo

the 2.5mm runs to one gang of the dimmer but he left the old 1mm for the other, why? as he had to make good the plaster so what cost did he save?

And just to complete the mess these are Class 1 accessories, the earth on one box was loose and the switched live L1 on the same had a missing screw (maybe the Pole used it to replace his) so was just poked in (PS Admin can we have a I feel sick smiley please!)

And 6 of these 50w are within 3" of a rafter (although I could see no signs of scorching YET!!)

First thing I got the customer to agree, and swapped all of the 50w for 35w

This was a straight replacement, no requirement for a MWC, but under the circumstances my gut says I need to test, but what a can of worms am I opening up?

I've explained to the customer I'd prefer to do some tests, but as you can see I've got 18 joints just on the firelighters (yards of tape on each) and a spiders web of lighting to find the end, it would take me most of the day to do so I can't do for free of course, it's such a mess it will take an age to find the furthest point, and I guess I can't force the issue, thoughts please?

the list of things I've recommended to the customer (apart from the test)

1) Don't even contemplate loft insulation with the current firelighters, cable runs etc

2) Each of the 18 junction to go in a croc or Wago

3) Replace each firelighter with a safer version

4) Investigate the monster in pic 2

5) Move all of the stored cardboard to the other side of the loft (promised they would do so this weekend)

Anything I've overlooked?

Does old pigeon sh*t burn well ? cos the juncion boxes in my loft, whilst perhaps not so prodigiously endowed as our Warsaw brother has left for you, are still scary......

Insulation ? (see pigeon reference...)