Ice Road Trucking

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache

Cow Fiddler ™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do love Ice Road Truckers on the History Channel and we had a wee bit of snow in the Dales today. Had a call a 25 mile round trip with a little job this afternoon, so I went for a play in the snow. On the tops it was drifting and ~ 10cm deep. Some was on black ice for added fun.

ice road2.jpg

I so want to be a proper IRT :D

(picture on the way back down as had to concentrate on driving going over the tops!)

Nice................all we had was freezing rain..........bring on the snow I say.

The other two sets of tracks belonged to a transit van and tractor in a construction company's livery. As I caught up with them on the edge of town the tractor was pulling the transit van out of a ditch :D

It was her & I've not got a clue if she is back next season........................I can ask the fella in the picture with her...........I know where he works.

Hmmm and we had was more rain :(

why are vans so crap in snow, in fact any slippy conditions. Just don't seem to be able to get tyres that grip, even chnaged my tyres to try and improve things - improved but still not great. Is it the rear wheel drive, or just that no one makes anything other than hard compound tyres for vans?

why are vans so crap in snow, in fact any slippy conditions. Just don't seem to be able to get tyres that grip, even chnaged my tyres to try and improve things - improved but still not great. Is it the rear wheel drive, or just that no one makes anything other than hard compound tyres for vans?
That's why I drive a Subaru Forrester  Guinness

I think it's a van thing. My ex's Transit was leathal in winter conditions, my little italian shoe box on wheels however has so far (touch wood! :) ) never let me down.

Rear when drive with a bit of weight in it should be better in the snow,

thats why you should always have a RWD if you tow much, it pushes rather than pulls, a better transfer of power.

Obviously you sacrifice front end grip,

Think of F1, RWD for a reason, obviously they have front wings to compensate though.

don't fancy keeping half a ton of solar panels in the back! Never had much problem front end, it's the rear, just lets me down when I really don't need it to. I have just changed tyres again though, so hopefully that will help, and if I had money I might invest in winter tyres - big cold snap forecast for next week
default_Hits%20the%20fan.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Mines FWD - Scudo LWB
Never an issue - TBH, it seems to be down to the lightness of touch on the wheel / pedals......
Im.a.bit worried how my scudo will.be, feels very light at the front on ice, I have hardly any feel from it,

Maybe Im expecting too much, but i like to fell the front end more, i think its very dull.

I am planning a re-tune of the engine to improve torque and fuel consumption as well as boost power a bit. Think the extra torque will help when trying to trickle engine gently. Poor driving is biggest problem in snow, especially down here as we hardly ever get any real snow falls. Causes complete chaos every time we get an odd inch

381605_10151319715060630_725847832_n.jpg

Me and my mrs last week up in the lake district skiing.  Its dumped down loads since so no need to walk back to the van next time.  Will be able to ski most of the way.

The Ski season is off to a good start up here as well.  

Still snow on the ground at low levels, but in spite of the weather forecasts telling us it's getting colder, it's starting to melt at low levels.