idiot proof instructions needed - install a ceiling light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jab

Reaction score
Hi there

We wanted to install a ceiling light and my other half attempted this by removing the old one and getting the wires out which were placed in a plastic ring with lines, loops and similar (sorry I don't know the technical term) - it's been a bit of a disaster as now we're stuck not knowing how to fix the light to the ceiling at all. He doesn't know how the plastic ring was put together with the wires.

There are currently 6 wires coming out of the ceiling, two red, two black and two earth ones. The new light fixtures has a red and a blue one.

Can this be fixed at all, any help would be greatly appreciated! If instructions could be given 'idiot proof' as we're new to DIY.

wires coming out of ceiling
IMG_4739.jpg

wires from new ceiling light
IMG_4744.jpg

came with new ceiling light (not in previous light fixture)
IMG_4745.jpg

what my other half removed from ceiling where the wires were looped in
IMG_4746.jpg

first youll need to find out which one is the switch and which one is the perm live... youll need some test equipment for this. basic multimeter will work

of course, its much easier to mark them before you pull them all apart...

if its on its own
then connect both reds by them selves in the loop and connect the new brown/ line and blue/N one to each black, then the green/yellow to the brass terminal with the funny looking symbol

if its on its own
then connect both reds by them selves in the loop and connect the new brown/ line and blue/N one to each black, then the green/yellow to the brass terminal with the funny looking symbol
thank you! what do I do with the earth ones? just leave the two as they are?

thank you! what do I do with the earth ones? just leave the two as they are?
then the two green/yellow (earth cables) to the brass terminal with the funny looking symbol (earth) if your new light is double insulated then you don't need it, but they must be connected together,
if the new light has the same symbol then they need to be connected to that terminal

Did either of the black wires from the ceiling have a red sleeve on it? if so that is the switched live and goes to the light.

if its on its own
I agree that polarity is not an issue with modern ES lampholders however the conductors of the new fitting should have correct polarity, the brown should be connected to live and not the neutral.

Latest posts