Ikea Dishwasher - Valgjord - Not Taking Salt

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicopod

Reaction score
Hello

Our Ikea Valgjord dishwasher has now stopped taking water softener salt.
I opened the cover and found a solenoid valve at the base of the water softener unit.
I assumed this solenoid is controlling the water passing through the slat compartment.
This part might be faulty.

I am not sure how can test this solenoid.
No information is printed on it.
- unknow voltage (12v 24v???),
- 2 red cables (unknown polarity)

I have removed it, took my multimeter,
-checked for continuity, result: no beep from the multimeter
- checked for resistance, result: 3.7kOhm on the multimeter

Your assistance is required.
Can you tell me how to test this solenoid?

Attachments

• IMG_20220515_173131.jpg
    IMG_20220515_173131.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220515_173104.jpg
    IMG_20220515_173104.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220515_173120.jpg
    IMG_20220515_173120.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220515_173049.jpg
    IMG_20220515_173049.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 6
Often where white goods are concerned, people often assume that "This part is faulty because it doesn't do what it is supposed to do when I think it should do it" so they end up buying a new part, fitting it, only to find it still does not work. Or they ask on a forum for peoples advice, sadly long gone are the days when white goods were easy to diagnose. White goods are built to a budget, and run in a specific order.

Example:
Washing machine turned on, it fills agitates a bit then stops. Assumption, timer/programmer has gone faulty, must need a new one.
Fact is timer has stopped as it is waiting for the heater to raise the water temperature, to the programme requirement but it will never happen as the heating element has failed

I would suggest you look at the UK white goods forum where they have people who work on white goods all day long.

And before you ask, no, I am not on said forum, it is nothing to do with me, it's just they work with white goods all day, and we don't. (I had a friend who worked for a white goods company, and over the years we used to swap stories, and I learnt a lot, and as in this example, people always got the diy diagnosis wrong.)

Latest posts