I'm looking for the best battery rechargable for pulling 1300watts

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiderman1234

Reaction score
I want to use another 1300 watt heater for infared heat benefits but I'm limited to one breaker. I am looking for the best option to have a second 1300 watt heater runnning on some type of battery. I dunno what a car battery could do and how often I can recharge any ideas smaller the better. I am in north america so i need something 120 volt.

Contact A123 systems in the USA, they are the originator of the LiFi battery.

Possibly a bit off topic but there's a lot of focus on lithium batteries these days, probably because of mobile devices such as smartphones, laptops and, of course, EVs, where a high energy density is important.

But for home applications there is less need for compact, lightweight batteries. So why all the focus on lithium tech? Surely there must be cheaper battery tech out there, albeit heavier and/or more bulky - but who cares about a battery the size of a small garden shed for a house, if the price is right?

Possibly a bit off topic but there's a lot of focus on lithium batteries these days, probably because of mobile devices such as smartphones, laptops and, of course, EVs, where a high energy density is important.

But for home applications there is less need for compact, lightweight batteries. So why all the focus on lithium tech? Surely there must be cheaper battery tech out there, albeit heavier and/or more bulky - but who cares about a battery the size of a small garden shed for a house, if the price is right?
Leisure batteries are far cheaper, but lack the number of life cycles of Lithium, and as you say, size is part of the equation for many people.

I want to use another 1300 watt heater for infared heat benefits but I'm limited to one breaker. I am looking for the best option to have a second 1300 watt heater runnning on some type of battery. I dunno what a car battery could do and how often I can recharge any ideas smaller the better. I am in north america so i need something 120 volt.
You can run 1300w heater on battery's , but it's all at a cost and type of battery. Lead acid can be used but you should not use more than 50% where lithium batterys you can but they are a huge cost. Then you have the equipment like solar and hybrid inverters which add to this cost then you have to talk about that cost and the return on that cost. I spend lots of time and money in this area. Unless you can do it your self then it's going to be an expensive project. I have Friends who live off grid who are not got an endless supply of cash and they all opted for wood burners for heat. But they do have a forest so wood is free.

Leisure batteries are far cheaper, but lack the number of life cycles of Lithium, and as you say, size is part of the equation for many people.

Fair point about increased life cycles of Li batteries, though I was thinking more about new battery tech rather than existing ones. Sodium ion batteries, for example, don't have the environmental issues of Li but have less energy density - not so good for cars and smartphones but not a problem for most grid storage applications.

We're at the very start of battery tech development and I predict we can't predict how it will evolve. Yes, the ICE is amazing but it's had over 100 years of R&D. Imagine a similar advance in batteries and EVs - if we can! development

Fair point about increased life cycles of Li batteries, though I was thinking more about new battery tech rather than existing ones. Sodium ion batteries, for example, don't have the environmental issues of Li but have less energy density - not so good for cars and smartphones but not a problem for most grid storage applications.

We're at the very start of battery tech development and I predict we can't predict how it will evolve. Yes, the ICE is amazing but it's had over 100 years of R&D. Imagine a similar advance in batteries and EVs - if we can! development
This is very true, there's nothing like demand to drive innovation.

I've not been following battery tech, but someone did produce a salt water battery fro domestic use. I havn't seen that for quite a while, it's size and weight put people of buyig it I think. There's also some experimental salt water storage tech being trialled down in Cornwall for grid applications next to solar farms I've no idea how that one works, but I think it's a form of thermal storage. It;s built into a shipping container, so I definetly wont be putting one in your loft :D

I remember back in the 60's when the Architect Journal publish an article about thermal storage of solar heat in cables buried in the foundations of a building, wonder what happened to that technology?