******* immersion heater change.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pick brains time. Ready?

Just been to a call-out this evening. Gas fire & back boiler been condemned today. 3 kids in house, no heat or DHW. Gasman says "You can use your immersion!"

Switch on - poof! RCD blows.

Call me. I go. Find 20 yr old immersion & tank - not been used for yonks. Corroded to hell & back. Going back to fit new immersion tomoz.

Here`s the question:

Bearing in mind they`re having a combi fitted in approx 4 weeks, I want to get this immersion (which looks like it was installed same time as the tank..) out of the cylinder, without wrecking the cylinder. I don`t want to have to fit a new cyl; only for it to be ripped out & scrapped in a month.

Anyone got any tips on removing???

Obviously, I`ll not be draining the tank until the nut has cracked; at the same time, if the tank ruptures instead it`ll be flippin` messy.........

Your thoughts, please.

I did one a while ago and the f@&*?%$ thing cross threaded so I think that I'd...

1. Disconnect electric,

2. Get plumber to remove old and fit new element

3. Reconnect electric

It's just not worth the agro if it goes wrong....

If you do it yourself make sure that you use a box spanner so that you actualy twist the element (up on one side and down on other) and crack the joint while it's still full!!

Good luck

I have one of those big box-spanner things that fits right over the nut...

I have one too. If you don't have one and need to borrow it - you're welcome to. It is brand new, never been used. BUT, I imagine that you already have one?

Thanks guys. :x

GF - nor me, in an ideal world............ but:(

NOZ - like the thought, but they need it done tomorrow (for the kids), and I can`t get a plumit there that quick. She wanted me to do it TONIGHT!!!!! Naff off, came the stern reply (politely, of course!). :^O

I`ve also got a box spanner, so I`ll give it a gentle go. If it won`t move, I`ll change the whole tank. :eek:

Stu - cheers bud. I`ve also had both of those things happen, and they`re a little spooky. :eek: :O

I`ll be on tomorrow night, either dry:D, or drip-drying. X( :( :_| Let you know.

Indeed mr. Admin, sir. Thanks for the gesture. :x

( Don`t suppose you want a little sub-contract job, by any chance????) :^O ] :)

Mrs. KME suggested taking a change of clothes............ Nowt like asking for trouble, is there?? :eek: :^O

Thanks guys. :x GF - nor me, in an ideal world............ but:(

NOZ - like the thought, but they need it done tomorrow (for the kids), and I can`t get a plumit there that quick. She wanted me to do it TONIGHT!!!!! Naff off, came the stern reply (politely, of course!). :^O

I`ve also got a box spanner, so I`ll give it a gentle go. If it won`t move, I`ll change the whole tank. :eek:

Stu - cheers bud. I`ve also had both of those things happen, and they`re a little spooky. :eek: :O

I`ll be on tomorrow night, either dry:D, or drip-drying. X( :( :_| Let you know.
Take a surf-board....

ride the wave....

you wont get quite so wet then m8! :^O :^O:^O

Best of luck! :)

Take a surf-board....(Got snorkel & flippers - will they do???) :^O

ride the wave....

What soddin` wave??

Nobody told me the tide was going to be in!!!!!!

you wont get quite so wet then m8! :^O :^O:^O

Quite so wet as WHAT, exactly??????

Best of luck! :)
Thankyou my friend. I knew I could rely on you for moral support!!

(and a few bright ideas) :^O

KME, just advise client of possible risk, given age.The Godfather
She`s about 30. Does that mean I shouldn`t advise of the risk if they`re above, say, 50?? :^O

Seriously, I gave her the scenario tonight; and will explain again tomorrow. Thanks :x

( Don`t suppose you want a little sub-contract job, by any chance????) :^O ] :)
I have sold my wet suit. Or else I would have. :D

Is it local? I wouldn't mind coming along for the ride. :^O

Gendros, m8. Tomorrow afternoon.

You can come if you want (You hold the tank, while I turn the spanner!)

Mrs. says she could make it a "family outing", cos someone has to hold the camera.

She also suggested that the customer may actually want an "indoor water feature", and not even know it yet!!!!!

Have done a few in my time, I used to use blow torch to heat around them before i took them out although a chippy i no who has done a plumbing course says the best way to get them out is to get a stanley knife or saw between gasket and top of immersion heater as it is only the gasket that stops them from coming out. Are you in a hard water area as where i come from the water is very hard so usually they are full of scale. I tried to avoid doing them these days as they can be a pain in the a*** to do.

Batty

Thanks Batty. I was planning on a bit of WD40 when I arrived, let it soak in while I get all my tools in, and make it look impressive etc......B-)

thought about blowtorch, but wondered if it`d set fire to the WD40!!! :OCould imagine being worried about a water leak, only to set fire to the clothes in the airing cupboard!!! :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O

I`ll try knife around gasket, and see how we get on. Thanks again. :x

(If it works, you`ll get scoobed till you`re sick!!!) :eek: :D:^O:^O;)

Don't use wd40 that stuff is lethal if fire is around. I made that mistake with a glass washer but thats another story.

batty

Don't use wd40 that stuff is lethal if fire is around. I made that mistake with a glass washer but thats another story.batty
WTF????? Is this a washer made of glass, for a glass bolt? :eek:

Or a machine for washing glasses? :)

Either way, why were you using a blowtorch on it??????? ?:| :eek: ] :)

( This has the makings of a REALLY good story.) :p ; \ :x

Spill the beans m8 - I`m intruiged now? :| ?:| ? :| ?:| ? :|

This is something I've never done, always leave it to the plumbers..

:D

(Coward, yes I know)

Years ago at a pub i used the landlord asked me to have a look at the glass washer. Something on it was sticking so i used a bit of wd40 as that was all that i had in my van. Unfortunately the thing nearly caught on fire when it got hot. So i don't tend to use wd40 around electrics anymore. I always use contact spray.

Batty