Industrial Electrician

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgaw81

Reaction score
Looking for abit of advise. I have applied for a job as a maintanence Electrician in the industrial sector. However i have no previous experience.

Still, somehow i have managed to get an interview, next thursday. So what i am looking for is some advise on the industrial electrics. Is there any good web sites i can read thru? Any tips for the interview?

Any advise at all would be good as I am wanting to get into ths sector to widen my experience.

Can you give some details of the job in hand?And your relevant experience?

Don
I have no experince at all in Industrial.

I have worked only on domestic, worked up from Apprentice to Electrician to Supervisor to Manager, all in seven years.

Now that i have done that i want back on the tools, but something different.

The job in question is only a maintenance Spark at a local factory. Which i thought would be a good introduction.

I did sent my CV away with my application, so they know i have no experience.

I have no experince at all in Industrial. I have worked only on domestic, worked up from Apprentice to Electrician to Supervisor to Manager, all in seven years.

Now that i have done that i want back on the tools, but something different.

The job in question is only a maintenance Spark at a local factory. Which i thought would be a good introduction.

I did sent my CV away with my application, so they know i have no experience.
But you obviously have indirect experience, in terms of previous/current employment.

Understanding of the basic principles and application of your skills is the key to success.

Don

ps, just be yourself (positive and enthusiastic), at the interview.

You have only just taken that job on, haven't you McGaw?
No WW, i am working away from home on a Scottish Gas heating contract as a supervisor, however its not the best to be honest.

If i new how to put pictures from my phone to the computer i'd show you how bad the sparks are that i have to work with.

No WW, i am working away from home on a Scottish Gas heating contract as a supervisor, however its not the best to be honest. Oh Right, sorry mate, I must have mixed you up with someone else. Whoever it was was offered & I think, took the job. It was manageriel (sp?). He was going to say, he wanted to half office & half on the tools.

If i new how to put pictures from my phone to the computer i'd show you how bad the sparks are that i have to work with.
Oh Dear. :(

Looking for abit of advise. I have applied for a job as a maintanence Electrician in the industrial sector. However i have no previous experience. Still, somehow i have managed to get an interview, next thursday. So what i am looking for is some advise on the industrial electrics. Is there any good web sites i can read thru? Any tips for the interview?

Any advise at all would be good as I am wanting to get into ths sector to widen my experience.
Learn how to fault find quickly, having work stop while you figure out a problem costs money. Also learn how to form conduit, trunking and cable tray fast!

Get up to speed with current H&S Regs and the Electricity at Work Act will be your new bible!

Firstly thanks for all the advise,

I have worked closely with Health and Safety for over two years with my old job, i even have an ISOH Managing Health and Safety certificate, so I feel that i will be ok with that.

I would class myself as a competent fault finder, however this has only been at domestic level.

Now that I am typing this I feel that I may be worrying about nothing, if I do well at interview then I'll get job, after all they have seen my CV and have still asked me in.

Just a thought

Maybe they have seen your cv a thought we could use this guy to fill a different role ???

you seem to have some good creds. which would be snapped up by the right company

good luck with the interview

Tip

answer the question you get asked, dont elaborate unless they ask you to !!!

always works a treat,,shows them up if they havnt got a clue

was asked once a question on ohms law, gave them the answer before they gave me a pen and paper,,,accused me of guessing !!! only because they didnt know and they were reading from a script .

I would class myself as a competent fault finder, however this has only been at domestic level.
Fault finding is mostly a logical thought process,

and been able to apply it to the particular situation,

with some knowledge of the system you are working on.

I wouldn't worry about that to much, it should be just 'develop & apply exsiting skill-set'....

In fact that sounds like a bit of interview speak when you are selling yourself...

"Ah yes mr employer I am wanting to develop, apply and expand my skill-set..

and I am sure I can use these skills to the benifit of the company":D

Now give me the JOB!!! X( ]:) ] :)

Fault finding is mostly a logical thought process,and been able to apply it to the particular situation,

with some knowledge of the system you are working on.

I wouldn't worry about that to much, it should be just 'develop & apply exsiting skill-set'....

In fact that sounds like a bit of interview speak when you are selling yourself...

"Ah yes mr employer I am wanting to develop, apply and expand my skill-set..

and I am sure I can use these skills to the benifit of the company":D

Now give me the JOB!!! X( ]:) ] :)
I like to think outside the box

keep everyone in the loop

and i love paintballin'

Firstly thanks for all the advise, I would class myself as a competent fault finder, however this has only been at domestic level.

Now that I am typing this I feel that I may be worrying about nothing, if I do well at interview then I'll get job, after all they have seen my CV and have still asked me in.
The ability to fault find in a logical manner will impact in all areas, not just Domestic.

Don

And if you can't find the fault, find a way around it until you can! :^O

Well had my interview today, I feel it went very well. They didn't seem to bothered that i had no experience, said i would (if successful) work along with another spark for about 12-16 weeks to gain the experience required.

They were really interested in my IOSH Managing Safely certificate, think if i do get job offer that would be qualification that would have swung it for me.

They did tell me that i would have to come back for medical thru their occupational health next week. The only downer i can see about the job is its 5K less than i get the now, however on a plus its only 15mile from home, shift work, more days off, which will give me time to do more jobs for myself.

I'll just have to await a call now, and take it from there. Will be gutted if i dont get offered the job, (i feel i did that well in the interview), and i have contucted many a interview.

Fingers crossed!!!!!

Got me fingers crossed me legs crossed ( difficult to ride me scooter now ) and me cross crossed for ya m8 , hope u get it dude ...