Industrial maintenance best practices

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jc1996

Reaction score
Two questions regarding best practices.

First one I don’t know if I’m being OTT but would you lock off a tripping circuit if you cannot investigate at that time?

The second is regarding maintenance and removal of motors. If the motors been removed and awaiting a replacement what would you say is best practice for terminating the exposed connections. I used to terminate in an appropriate JB and drop the tails out at the local isolator but then realised I don’t always have a JB available 😂😅

Thanks guys as always for your kind replies

1 i only go to site if im called there to fix something... so since its usually a trip specifically to fix something then the dont have time to investigate is a bit irrelevant... but if its more complicated than expected and going to take longer and need a return visit then usually agree with site to leave it off until then

2 if isolated and locked off, just leave the tails where they are. maybe tape them to the side if they are in the way. if tis removed but rest of machine is still running then make them safe.

Depends on the environment in both instances.
Do a risk assessment and write down your reasoning, conclusions and actions. Present the document to relevant management and you are covered.

You are working in an industrial sector then you should not be asking these questions on an internet forum, any sector to be honest.

Assume that somebody will unwittingly try to switch on, so make safe somehow. Isolate with JB as you suggest, Remove Fuse, Disconnect in distribution board, Lock Off, upto you.

Found different places had different procedures.
Some places for a motor disconnect were happy with just the isolator tagged and locked off with the motor cable end bagged.
Some places isolator fuses removed, locked off and tagged, motor cable end bagged.
Some places as above but a JB on motor cable end as well.
But raises the question when you get a monster 11KV 1MW motor how are you going to JB that cable end, ain’t happening.

Depends on your involvement if I am removing a motor for third party maintenance I ensure it isn't my my problem but the OP is sketchy as to the exact situation.