Inspection of flat. advice please. Immediate Danger?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brummydave

Reaction score
I was called to a ground floor flat yesterday to inspect and advise on several issues. It's just been vacated by a tenant and is going to have new ones in a fortnight. The owner had an EICR done in October 2011 but was surprised when I said another was due because of change of tenancy. My findings are based on an inspection only.

The minor issues are -

-a faulty storage heater,

-condensation problems in the bathroom so an extractor fan needs fitting.

-rear security light not working.

The main issue was that British Gas had issued a little warning triangle on the main consumer unit. They were there to change the meter as there's no gas in the flat. The installer said the red wires on the metal consumer unit were exposed and presented an immediate danger. The customer was concerned as the installation had 'passed' its inspection last October. I'm awaiting a copy of the EICR!

23092012185.jpg

As you can see in the first picture, the fuse cover is missing and the circuit cables are visible, however the gap is about 8mm and a test finger cannot enter. So it's meeting the IP2X requirement. But obviously any object smaller can be waved through, and if done so at the right angle, could just about connect with the top of the fuse holder. If poked through at the bottom the busbar may be accessible but it seemed hidden to me.

The cover is also missing from the Economy 7/Storage Heating plastic consumer unit in the second picture but there's no gap around the fuses.

The 'power breaker' sticker refers to a single RCD socket that was fitted in the porch to supply equipment that would be used outdoors. Well front outdoors certainly, but not likely the rear!

After inspection I found the earthing conductors and the main protective bonding conductor to be satisfactory, although there was no visual evidence of supplementary bonding in the bathroom or airing cupboard. The kitchen sink however was bonded to the pipes below :) The supply is TNC-S and rated at 60A. The main consumer unit has six metal conduits for circuit cables - just live and neutrals. I presume the circuits are earthed through the conduit and protective conductors would be present at outlets. Obviously if i undertake any work, I'll make sure of this!

I advised that although the main board was abiding by BS7671, it wasn't an ideal situation and that safety could be improved by installation of RCDs, ie a new board.

On the minor issues,

-I said the heater elements could be tested at a later date and was not a priority.

- an extract fan could be fitted and surface wired, however it would have to be RCD protected. Also, a wall mounted fan heater was present in Zone 2 so I suggested it be moved outside the zones and also RCD protected. It had no IP ratings marked so if it were not to be moved then I would disconnect it! The bathroom also revealed a faulty shower - no mains present. If it were to be replaced, it would need RCD protection. I gave them the ESC leaflet on RCDs and tried to impress how important they are, and as a landlord did they want to not provide the safest installation possible?

-the rear security light was corroded, flooded and well overdue replacement. 10W LED would do :)

I'm greatful for helpful advice on best procedure from here please?

Cheers.

23092012184.jpg

Greetings fellow Brummie ,

I think the day of the Wylex is over now , wouldn't say that gap in the front was safe from a child's fingers or poking something in.

Looks like a board upgrade would solve most of the problems .

You can only report what you find.

As a quick botch, you could no-nails some carved and shaped trunking lid on to cover the gap.

Greetings fellow Brummie , I think the day of the Wylex is over now , wouldn't say that gap in the front was safe from a child's fingers or poking something in.

Looks like a board upgrade would solve most of the problems .

You can only report what you find.
Greetings brummie too! Thanks for the reply.

It's weird that IP2X still means a child or other can poke through a 12mm hole isn't it!

The thing with the board upgrade is it'll still need to be metal to provide the earth paths - unless I leave the existing conduit and bottom of board and cut off the top. Leaving it like an manifold, and connect it to a new MET. Hmm.... pondering.

Oh and my only hesitation with a metal board is it's been over a decade since I installed one, and they seem to get a bashing on here!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:43 ----------

As a quick botch, you could no-nails some carved and shaped trunking lid on to cover the gap.
lol! :D that may keep the wolves at bay for a week or two, but er... think i'll go with the changeover recommendation!

What do gas fitters know about electrics . Do we go sticking stuff on there dodgy pipe work

What do gas fitters know about electrics . Do we go sticking stuff on there dodgy pipe work
That was my initial reaction, only this was a meter fitter working for British Gas. My guess is (s)he may never have fitted any gas work at all.

Looking at the PIR (not EICR as i thought it would be) from last autumn I have already found anomalies. Seems some info wasn't quite written in correctly, some recommendations were implemented but not all. I have blanked and attached the pages for your perusal!

periodic report 1 of 4.jpg

periodic report 2 of 4.jpg

periodic report 3 of 4.jpg

periodic report 4 of 4.jpg

Most importantly, the PIR highlighted the gap around the fuses as a code 1 and yet that still remained. Speaking to the landlord today, they thought that the fact a certificate had been issued meant the installation was ok! When I pointed out the little 'unsatisfactory' tickbox in the summary section they weren't very impressed and felt misled!

Also, the landlord wasn't certain why some work - upgrading the main earthing, changing the shower switch and fuse, fitting an RCD socket - was done. but other - changing the board (s), circuit ident stuff, - wasn't.

I'm none the wiser but also trying to prepare an estimate for the work they want done - well some of it anyway. I think

ok, for what its worth and Ive only skimmed the cert,

fault 4 , there is NO such cable,

as for the code 5 's , never heard of them, is that a NAPIT made up one ?

With my dodgy eyes i cant read that, even when enlarged to its max
I am sorry, what's the largest image size I can upload? The original's were 2.5MB and weren't allowed!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:13 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:12 ----------

I see a TNC-S supply with a 6mm earthing conductor and 10mm bonding. Huh?
Yeah bonkers wasn't it. The earthing conductor's 16mm now - easy job it was.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:15 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:13 ----------

ok, for what its worth and Ive only skimmed the cert,fault 4 , there is NO such cable,

as for the code 5 's , never heard of them, is that a NAPIT made up one ?
It's a small thing to call an 'Earthing Conductor' a 'Main Earthing Conductor' thought isn't it?

code 5 it explains as 'comments'. I'm interested to know what codes they have on their EICR now!

my point was its obvious he wasnt a very good tester if he had a fault with the MAIN earthing conductor,

there is NO such cable under normal circumstances.

Thanks for reading my uploads chaps!

A report shared is a report er... taken apart by a load of people... :D

I personally wouldn't comment on the use of 'Unswitched Socket Outlets' (item 8). I think they're ace in the right place!

Also, very few houses have 'fire alarms' (item 9), even fewer flats! Isn't it generally smoke and heat alarms that are fitted?

Am I the only one that thinks a bathroom ceiling light (item 11) is ok whether within 600mm or not? Although I didn't measure its height, the ceiling is at a standard height. And if it were under 2.25m then it'd need to be ipx4 rather than class 2?

A worrying thing, he's added that supplementary bonding is n/a on the schedule. Surely that was incorrect as there's no RCD?

more worrying, if holes can be picked in a competent inspector's report, what hope have we for the public to gain confidence?

Greetings brummie too! Thanks for the reply.It's weird that IP2X still means a child or other can poke through a 12mm hole isn't it!

The thing with the board upgrade is it'll still need to be metal to provide the earth paths - unless I leave the existing conduit and bottom of board and cut off the top. Leaving it like an manifold, and connect it to a new MET. Hmm.... pondering.

Oh and my only hesitation with a metal board is it's been over a decade since I installed one, and they seem to get a bashing on here!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:43 ----------

lol! :D that may keep the wolves at bay for a week or two, but er... think i'll go with the changeover recommendation!
I don't think we bash metal boards do we Brum ? I'd be fitting one there if it was me TBH , as you say , you need to earth the conduits .

I don't think we bash metal boards do we Brum ? I'd be fitting one there if it was me TBH , as you say , you need to earth the conduits .
Maybe I haven't read as many posts as you (!) so I might have an unfair view, but I got the impression that a metal consumer unit was looked down on. One reason being it's just introducing a giant extraneous conductive part that isn't needed seeing as insulated ones are out there...except in this case it is needed and obviously it'd be the best earthed part of the installation!

Also though I notice a lack of deals on metal boards... :(

With the recent relevations that c/units do not have to be fire proof i will be fitting more metal clad ones. Last one i did in a situation like this was to remove the guts of the old board and mount the new one over the top, thus leaving all the conduits in situ and a nice big joint box if any cables are too short.