Installation resistance test querie

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got pulled on assessment for disconnecting cpc's. think he said leaving them connected came in in 17th (he maybe even said 3rd ed) I never checked up to previous versions though.
It wasn't the 3rd Amendment. It came in with the 17th from the outset.

hate to be picky by Guidance Notes are Not regs, however 612.3.1 does say .......insulation resistance shall be measured between live conductors and the protective conductor connected to the earthing arrangement.  

IR testing is carried out with the cicuit CPC connected to the means of earthing.

That is in the regs.. came out in the original 17th i believe..

To do otherwise means that all you are doing is testing the cable itself, NOT the actual circuit..

[Was not a young lady killed and an electrician jailed for not finding a fault that would have been revealed by proper testing as is required?? A partition wall or something??]

john..

that was a newish property with metal partition walls, a wet floor and a mop. These sort of walls have installation methods rather different to 'normal houses'. 

IR testing is carried out with the cicuit CPC connected to the means of earthing.

That is in the regs.. came out in the original 17th i believe..

To do otherwise means that all you are doing is testing the cable itself, NOT the actual circuit..

[Was not a young lady killed and an electrician jailed for not finding a fault that would have been revealed by proper testing as is required?? A partition wall or something??]

john..

Fined not jailed I believe if the case you are thinking of was this one http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2594192/Electrician-work-led-death-young-mother-fined-just-1-000.html   Stud wall with metal not wooden stud work, damaged cable making stud-work live.

Doc H.

I don't know why they actually use metal studwork-well I do it's a money thing- a damaged cable scenario was a given and the fact that 95% of new builds are not actually tested correctly and of those that are many of the testers wouldn't know what the results actually are telling them, I'm surprised more haven't been killed. 

522.6.203 Irrespective of its buried depth,a cable concealed in a wall or partition, the internal construction of which includes metallic parts, other than metallic fixings such as nails, screws and the like, shall:

(i) be provided with additional protection by means of an RCD having the characteristics specified in Regulation 415.1.1, or

(ii) comply with Regulation 522.6.204.

For a cable installed at a depth of less than 50 mm from the surface of a wall or partition the requirements of Regulation 522.6.202 shall also apply.

522.6.204 For the purposes of Regulation 522.6.201(ii), Regulation 522.6.202(ii) and Regulation 522.6.203(ii), a cable shall:

(i) incorporate an earthed metallic covering which complies with the requirements of these Regulations for a protective conductor of the circuit concerned, the cable complying with BS 5467, BS 6724, BS 7846, BS 8436 or BS EN 60702-1, or

(ii) be installed in earthed conduit complying with BS EN 61386-21 and satisfying the requirements of these Regulations for a protective conductor, or

(iii) be enclosed in earthed trunking or ducting complying with BS EN 50085-2-1 and satisfying the requirements of these Regulations for a protective conductor, or

(iv) be provided with mechanical protection against damage sufficient to prevent penetration of the cable by nails, screws and the like, or

(v) form part of a SELV or PELV circuit meeting the requirements of Regulation 414.4.

Latest posts