Installing a zanussi oven.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan Jones

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm installing a zanussi oven and would like a little help please.

The oven manual states "Connection should be via an Oven Control Circuit.
Min size cable 2.5 mm2. Cable PVC twin & earth. Fuse 15 A min 20 A max.
The total load rating of the oven is 2.48 Kw."
The label on the side of the oven states Max power is 2. 790 Kw.

I checked the circuit breaker for the cooker in the consumer unit and it is 32 Amp. 

The old oven is wired through 13a fused spur socket on the wall, but uses a 1.5 mm2 cable.
The 13a fused spur socket is wired to the 45a cooker connection unit (with the red switch)
on the wall above the working top.
There is also an electric hob - max power 6Kw 40a separately and directly wired to the 45a 
cooker connection unit.

My plan to install the new zanussi oven is as follows :

1) Replace the 1.5 mm oven power cable with a 2.5 mm one. 

2) Replace the 13a fused spur socket with a 20A Double pole switch. 

3) Keep the circuit breaker for the cooker in the consumer unit as 
    it is - 32 Amp

Can anyone see any issues with this ? Thanks.

Hi Andy,

Right,  so if I use the 13a fused spur socket then this will be OK with a 32a MCB ?

Hi Andy,

That's simplfied things.  I just need to replace the 1.5 mm oven power cable with a 2.5 mm one.

Thanks for your advice.

Hi Andy,

That's simplfied things.  I just need to replace the 1.5 mm oven power cable with a 2.5 mm one.

Thanks for your advice.
What cable is coming from the cooker switch to the spur tho, if it 2.5mm then your 32amp mcb will not protect this cable supplying the 13amp spur.

nothing wrong with 2.5 from a 32a MCB feeding a spur. have a look at diagram 15b in appendix 15
Yes you are correct providing the applaince has a bs1362 fuse rated at a maximum of 13 amps to protect the 2.5mm cable. However the job in hand was to remove the fused spur to a 20amp double pole switch, you loose all protection on the 2.5mm. That is assuming the applaince is hard wired directly to the double pole switch.

Latest posts