INSTALLING ELECTRIC COOKER UNUSUAL WIRING

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidk

Reaction score
Hi

I am a new member. I have been involved with DIY electrics for very many years but have no relevant qualification other than an A level in physics obtained many many years ago.

I have searched this forum and others and the web for an answer to my query but have not found the answer.

I have a gas hob and a full size 90cm high eye level double electric oven, which has worked fine for around 24 years . Its now a bit old and I intend to replace . The dedicated oven circuit wiring is not as shown in You Tube vids or various forums in that there is no cooker control switch. The dedicated cooker circuit enters the house via a single recessed wall box situate behind the cupboard immediately below the cooker. There is an inspection hatch in the back of the cupboard for access.. The cooker is wired directly into this using a CCU. The wire from cooker to connector is is T and E 6mm a little under 6ft in length, Cooker fuse is 30 amp trip. There is also a RCD trip between the mains and fuse box.

I think one of the reasons there is no cooker switch is that there is no obvious convenient place to fit one . The unit which houses the cooker has a cupboard above and below ; There is a door on one side and a double sink with double drainer on the other with a large window over. To be honest,I have found having no cooker switch no hardship.

The kitchen is fairly new and was quite expensive ..real teak and there is extensive tiling . Rechanneling for any additional cables now would be a ludicrous expense. I accept that I should probably have had more foresight.

The new cooker I am proposing to install is rated at 18 amps.

My query is (a|) should I wire it back as it is (b) wire it back but replace the c c u with an on/off cooker control switch ( I will have to give some thought as to how to get the cooker wire out of the switch) or © wire back as is but fit a cooker switch in the circuit between the ccu input and the cooker. The only place to possibly do this is to recess the switch in the side of the chipboard oven housing as far back as possible so as not to interfere with the body of the oven. This would obviously be on the door side.

I am aware there is another option re (b) of also putting a wall mounted ccu in the circuit behind the cooker but it seems illogical to me to put another unnecessary break in the circuit when its just as easy (if not easier) to disconnect to cooker (if the need arises) from the cooker control switch.

Sorry if this post is a bit long but I was trying to paint the full picture.

Regards  David