Insulation Resistance test

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taffyg1409

Reaction score
When faced with a lighting circuit containing 20 transformers for 50mm dichroics, which comes through a contactor and has 2 last man out switches, how on earth do you perform an I R test successfully without the obvious iv'e left something connected low readings????

Do you really have to disconnect every single transfomer bypass all the swithes!!

This would take for ever on a commercial property with 25 lighting circuits all with the above and batten fittings.

Somebody tell me there is a simple soulution or i'm going to hang myself!!! :eek:

Regards

yep.

test n-e and l-e. dont bother with l-n....

perfectly acceptable, and record "lim" in the l-n box:D

Lim meaning? 'limited' - 'limitation' - ??? Is this acceptable by the NIC??

Many thanksB)

yes i would think it would be

hey welshy when are you putting the yes and no smilie on here :^O :^O

oh go on welshy let us have yes and no pppppppppplllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee we'll be your friend for life.

:^O :^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O

On the subject of L-N Insulation Resistance testing...

Where it is not possible, basic continuity checking with a ohmmeter to verify load resistance (of concealed equipment etc) and more importantly to check for a short circuit..

B)

whoa whoa whoa guys

you must test between LIVE conductors and EARTH

this means PHASE and NEUTRAL, they are both LIVE

join the phase and neutral conductors together(use a block connector)

and test between these and earth,

only testing one of them at a time can potentially produce a voltage on the other thus frying the transformers, you MUST keep them both at the same potential.

On the subject of L-N Insulation Resistance testing...Where it is not possible, basic continuity checking with a ohmmeter to verify load resistance (of concealed equipment etc) and more importantly to check for a short circuit..

B)
oh, and totally agree with this, its a good refernce for your own peace of mind,

:D

whoa whoa whoa guysyou must test between LIVE conductors and EARTH

this means PHASE and NEUTRAL, they are both LIVE

join the phase and neutral conductors together(use a block connector)

and test between these and earth,

only testing one of them at a time can potentially produce a voltage on the other thus frying the transformers, you MUST keep them both at the same potential.
Yes, this is what GN3 states.

It is a good idea to test at 250v before putting the full 500v down the cable

I always do this first it shows upm anything still connected before you damage it