Insulation Resistance testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomo27

Reaction score
Morning all

IR tests arghh im practicing at home but also trying to find a fault that keeps tripping the RCD

Up and downstairs ring , cooker , SWA to the dettached garage are the circuits on the RCD side

Ph&N - E for all circuits gives me high readings which Im happy with

N-E as above

P-N for the Cooker and Garage as above

P-N for the rings 0.00 !!!

Nothing plugged in im sure of it , when you do these connections do you put the lead on both P and the other lead on both N or do you put them in connector block and stuck your probes in ? My test leads aren't fused so ive never thought of doing it that way Ive always put the croc clips on the cable and let go then put the 500V through the system

Hello thomo

You still have something plugged in somewhere. Nusaince tripping could be caused by cooker. Try keeping it switched off to see if Rcd trips out.

batty

Hi Batty

How do you do your connections for the IR tests on a ring ?

I have triple checked nothing is plugged in ?

Perfect IR results on the cooker .

If something was plugged in would get 0 or just a lower reading , i know that all major appliances i..e wash machine , cooker etc are off.

When testing insulation resistance on a ring you take the two live conductors and the two neutral conductors and test resistance between them. I thought you said you got zero meaning that something is plugged in.

batty

Hi Batty

Im adament there is nothing plugged in and no FCU's on , when I test the up and downstairs ring between P-N I get 0.00

I understand that you test between the 2 P and the 2 N conductors just wondering if you use the croc clips on the leads to connect onto the copper or whether u put the cable ends in connector block

It makes no difference either way if you are getting zero between phase and neutral i would think something is connected somewere. you don't have a tv booster in loft do you.

batty

Thomo

just a thought...have you done continuity tests on the ring ???

if you are sure everything is disconnected then you could be looking at a faulty socket

The P-N 00.00 reading wouldn't cause the tripping as RCD monitors P-CPC faults. Have you got a socket with an inbuilt RCD, if not I recon somthing is still plugged in, because with a reading like that if it was a true P-N fault the protective device would operate when the supply was conected.:8}

RCD also monitors N-E faults as when an MCB is off and the RCD trips it cant rule out that circuit as the leakage current can come from the N ;)

The protective device is the RCD which is tripping.

Thomojust a thought...have you done continuity tests on the ring ???

if you are sure everything is disconnected then you could be looking at a faulty socket
Hi

Yeah continuity was present throughout , oh bother , just wait until we start doing 17th edition installations even more circuits on an RCD unless people go down the expensive RCBO route:)

The P-N 00.00 reading wouldn't cause the tripping as RCD monitors P-CPC faults. Have you got a socket with an inbuilt RCD, if not I recon somthing is still plugged in, because with a reading like that if it was a true P-N fault the protective device would operate when the supply was conected.:8}
No sockets with an RCD , Im gonna have another look next week , cheers for your suggestions/advice

RCD also monitors N-E faults as when an MCB is off and the RCD trips it cant rule out that circuit as the leakage current can come from the N ;) The protective device is the RCD which is tripping.
Yes know RCD monitors N-E faults just stating it would only detect faults to earth, and with a P-N fault the protective device RCD would not operate :D CJS

What type of conection is it ie. TNCS and is the main isolator off. If TNCS and main isolator still closed could be P-E fault but conecting through N-E PEN conductor just a thought CJS

Just a thought. Connect up to do Ins. test, but ACTUALLY do low. impedance test (i.e. continuity.) If there is a load of any size, it should read on there ( <=2K ).

Follow me??

Lets sort out this issue with the ring first, then look for the RCD problem.

No sockets with an RCD , Im gonna have another look next week , cheers for your suggestions/advice
I thought you said that you were testing at home aren't you home for the week

Morning all

IR tests arghh im practicing at home but also trying to find a fault that keeps tripping the RCD

Up and downstairs ring , cooker , SWA to the dettached garage are the circuits on the RCD side

Ph&N - E for all circuits gives me high readings which Im happy with

N-E as above

P-N for the Cooker and Garage as above

P-N for the rings 0.00 !!!

Nothing plugged in im sure of it , when you do these connections do you put the lead on both P and the other lead on both N or do you put them in connector block and stuck your probes in ? My test leads aren't fused so ive never thought of doing it that way Ive always put the croc clips on the cable and let go then put the 500V through the system

Hi KME when you ask 'Have you taken a purely resistive reading, to ascertain the ACTUAL resistance?

If so, what was the result??

Am I right in saying you are refering to continuity results ?

If so Yes I have done continuity tests and the results were between 0.1-0.2 I cant remember the exact figure though but they didn't alarm me.

Im not going to be able to test for another weeks or so now , however I will give it another go and come back to the thread.

KME you also asked 'Just a thought. Connect up to do Ins. test, but ACTUALLY do low. impedance test (i.e. continuity.) If there is a load of any size, it should read on there ( <=2K ).

Follow me??'

Is this in the same way as you would link an outgoing p/n to an incoming p/n and then take a reading from the remaining p/n 's