Interconnected smoke detector pairing (make: ANKA)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I missing something?

The idea of interlinked smoke alarms is to wake you in the event of smoke (Fire)
For the sake of argument you have one in the lounge, one in the hall one on the landing. A smouldering cigarette finds its way onto some furniture and after a while said furniture starts to smoke, the lounge smoke alarm activates, but everyone is fast asleep upstairs, so they don't hear the lounge alarm, but within seconds, as the alarms are interlinked the hall and landing alarms also make noise, you will not be able to sleep through that for long.

Well Mr Magpie I managed to get you to make a noise but it doesn't prove you work properly or do joined up thinking does it.

ANKA Wireless Interconnected Smoke Alarm Detector ,【2021 NEW】10-Year Battery Interlinked smoke Alarm, with Over 820 ft Transmission Range, Conforms to EN 14604 Standard, AJ-761SI4​

tested and certified by the Chinese - they may or may not have done it properly, a bit like claiming Hong Kong has had democratic electrions. I tried cheapo detectors a few years ago, Fireangel, they firked up in under 2 years. There's only 1 decent reliable make and that is AICO.

tested and certified by the Chinese - they may or may not have done it properly, a bit like claiming Hong Kong has had democratic electrions. I tried cheapo detectors a few years ago, Fireangel, they firked up in under 2 years. There's only 1 decent reliable make and that is AICO.
Fire angle are what the fire service has fitted for years 😂
As for Anka,
The EN number doesn't come out a luckybag it HAS to be certified by the EU and Amazon are quite happy to sell them.

Last edited:
Am I missing something?

The idea of interlinked smoke alarms is to wake you in the event of smoke (Fire)
For the sake of argument you have one in the lounge, one in the hall one on the landing. A smouldering cigarette finds its way onto some furniture and after a while said furniture starts to smoke, the lounge smoke alarm activates, but everyone is fast asleep upstairs, so they don't hear the lounge alarm, but within seconds, as the alarms are interlinked the hall and landing alarms also make noise, you will not be able to sleep through that for long.

Thats assuming far to many variables

1. You smoke and are careless.
2. You live in a home with more than 1 floor.
3. You fall asleep quickly and into a deep sleep.
4. Your not hard of hearing.

New builds, HMO's, rented accommodation and any older property that puts in for building consent for an alteration will have to have hard wired interconnected detectors.

Anyway in your scenario if the livingroom door is shut it will give 20 minutes fire resistance. Any smoke percolating through gaps will set off hall detector.

You have gripes take them up with British Standards, trading standards or the fire service. I'm quite sure they will be amused to hear what they have allowed and fitted for the last 25 years is Gladys Knight.

Fire angle are what the fire service has fitted for years 😂
As for Anka,
The EN number doesn't come out a luckybag it HAS to be certified by the EU and Amazon are quite happy to sell them.
Amazon sell all sorts of rubbish, I know, I've bought enough of it :D The certification schemes are mostly self-certification, I don't think even the EU checks anything properly, not like the days when we had the BSI and kite mark. It's the sort of nonsense that lead to Grenfell..

EN numbers are just standards, "Euro Norm", the European equivalent to British Standards, and indeed adopted as BS-ENxxxxx
The certification process, as Binky says, is a self certification by manufacturer or importer. It is supposedly backed up by generation of a, "Technical file", which should state the relevant standards and say how these are met. I've no idea if any of these Technical files is ever called in by any authority for independent checking, but I have my doubts.
The product compliance, in the Euro world, is, "certified", by application of a CE sticker.
CE stickers are a couple of quid a roll. Believe what you wish.

Hi guys, the OP here, just watching the battle unfolding above and decided to stay out of it, totally crazy stuff, so much for the friendly forum, ha ha. This is why I never replied until till now, as an unfriendly welcome puts people right off forums.

Anyway this is my last message on this subject, and only putting this message up in case google leads others to this page with the same problem of paring ANKA sensors. It seems these sensors are used a lot down under in Australia and found an Australian Youtube video that makes sense on how to pair them which I have done. So here is the video. And bye to all, and hopefully you will be friendlier to others. Fairwell.

Before read this thread I'd never heard of this product.

For the benefit of anyone reading this there is only 1 real solution for alarms and they are made by Aico - with decent reliable products and local support - they may be more expensive but a very small price to pay to potentially save lives.

I have four new 3000 series Aico fire/Co detectors with Interlink for sale at the moment if anyone is interested please PM me.

I wonder about Kidd smoke alarms any opinions?