Interesting clarification ..........

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Extract from an ECA email received today

implementation and information

The last update to the Wiring Regulations (Amendment 1, updating the requirements around electric vehicle charging installations) will be withdrawn on 27th September 2022. Any new work from this date must conform to the new Amendment 2.

Some of the wording has also been clarified. For example, some readers took the word ‘recommended to mean ‘mandatory. This has been made clearer throughout, and should now be easier to understand.

Hum ........... to make the BBB clearer I suspect a huge number of words would need changing to make the whole book "clearer":)

I do think parts of the regs are not crystal clear to allow application of common sense, and to avoid the trap of trying to tie down every possibility you may encounter in day to day work.

This is the reason I wasted two hours last night going to the talk. They covered most points, quite quickly, but they got the points across
Basically
SPDS on domestic unless client says they don't want it then it goes on the cert
Pink FE on RCBOs
No cables on escape routes ( with a few provisos)
AFDD on socket CCTs less than 32A in buildings over 6 storeys, care homes, purpose built student accommodation
RCD on virtually eveyrthing
RCD Spurs and sockets are now in favour again
Labels on boards not required unless they are warning labels
Some shite about EVs which I blanked
If an RCD trips at 300ms or less at rated current on 0° and 180° that's all that is required no 1-2X or 5X
All A curve RCDs unless load is to be solely resistive

And some other stuff

Some of the wording has also been clarified. For example, some readers took the word ‘recommended to mean ‘mandatory. This has been made clearer throughout, and should now be easier to understand.
Nope that has not made it clearer. Does Recommended mean Mandatory or not?

The term Mandatory relates to meeting the requirements of the standard, not the law.
Normative, Informative, Shall, Should etc. are all standard terms with common definitions in international standards.
When it comes to product standards and directives there is a much closer link between standard and law, however the language is common.
Using a standard can provide a presumption of conformity to the law.
Thus there are certain clauses that have to be met in the standard to give that presumption, mandatory and shall being some of the defining terms.