interlinked smoke alarms..

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andson

Reaction score
hello all, i am installing two mains powered smoke alarms in my house, i have a spare 6 amp mcb i can use, so i will be coming off that. my question is, i have to use 3 core and cpc so i can interlink them, but where does the third cable go in my consumer unit? is the cable i need 6243y?

cheers andy...

you would normally run from the consumer unit to the first smoke in twin and earth 1.0mm or 1.5mm, either would be fine, at the first smoke you would connect line and neutral and earth as per instructions the 3core and earth then would be joined at this point in each terminal, e.g. brown and brown, blue and black, the grey would fit by itself in the interconnecting terminal, connect the same at the second, third smoke and so on till all connected and thats pretty much it

If yr with the NIC dont forget the smoke certificate !!!!

like my mate does all the time:^O

you would normally run from the consumer unit to the first smoke in twin and earth 1.0mm or 1.5mm, either would be fine, at the first smoke you would connect line and neutral and earth as per instructions the 3core and earth then would be joined at this point in each terminal, e.g. brown and brown, blue and black, the grey would fit by itself in the interconnecting terminal, connect the same at the second, third smoke and so on till all connected and thats pretty much it
Ditto that m8... :D

but dont forget also to stick a bit of tape or sleeve in the appropriate colour to identify the correct conductors of the 3-core

(e.g. 3-core has no neutral colours in it!) :)

Well if he says to use black conductor from 3 core as neutral then just this needs blue sleeving at each smoke.

Grey can be left as it is when used as the interlink and obviously cpc will need Yell/ green sleeving.

Well if he says to use black conductor from 3 core as neutral then just this needs blue sleeving at each smoke.Grey can be left as it is when used as the interlink and obviously cpc will need Yell/ green sleeving.
Here! Here! sir.

as you say the three core Brown/Black/Grey + CPC

is carrying Live neutral & interconnect wire...

On most smoke detectors I see the interconnect wire tends to be white or orange...

personally as well as the blue sleeve to identify the neutral conductor..

I also try & put some sleeving or tape to match the interconnect colour

So if DIY bob take the smoke down the colours match up for reconnection!

KME & Specs - I am afraid that I have some bad news for you Both. :(
Anyway - because you are both so interested - I will tell you.

It is looking likely that we will have to close the institute - due to lack of funding.

Good news - Maybe - is that the trustees of the institute - are looking to start negotiations with Steptoe, to have a purpose built unit in his yard - next to the stables.

:D

Anyway - because you are both so interested - I will tell you.It is looking likely that we will have to close the institute - due to lack of funding.

Good news - Maybe - is that the trustees of the institute - are looking to start negotiations with Steptoe, to have a purpose built unit in his yard - next to the stables.

It'll cause arguments over who can sleep by the horse??? :( :eek: :O:O] :)

KME - Naturally. And if he asks nicely - they even stretch the budget to buy him a Dentist's chair.

]:)

2nd hand chair, of course.

Anyway - Enough of this silly talk - I am off to bed.

G' Night.