Intermediate Switches Question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mackers

Reaction score
In a bedroom I have three light switches for the central light. 

two of these switches (either side of the bed) were double gang, one side controlled a 5 amp socket for a bedside lamp. The other side the central light. I decided to remove the sockets and use a single gang switch to control the light.

I can’t get it to work correctly with my new one gang switch. Although i believe I’m connecting it properly, obviously I am not.

this is the old two gang switch has: ... I have pics but don’t know how to add them 😢

Upload your pictures to an image hosting site and post a link to them.

If you are no longer using the switch that fed the 5A sockets, then those wires need making safe and insulating and not connecting anywhere.

The wires going to the intermediate switch should be exactly as they are. BUT I suspect these are not actually intermediate switches.  If there are 3 switches in total then only ONE of them will be an intermediate switch and that will probably be the single one on it's own somewhere.

Thanks ProDave. 

• The word "Inter" in image 2 has led me to assume that it is an intermediate switch.
  • When I take the L1 and L2 wires from image 1 and place them into the L1 and L2 terminals in image 4, all three switches don't control the centre light.
  • I can return the four cables to L1 and L2 to the terminals in image 1 and the circuit continues to work as before.

If you are replacing an intermediate switch, only a new intermediate switch will work
Thanks Murdoch.

Thats what I thought I had done.

Image has the word "Inter" on it which led me to assume it is an intermediate switch. Image  my replacement switch has Intermediate written on it.

Thanks Murdoch.

Thats what I thought I had done.

Image has the word "Inter" on it which led me to assume it is an intermediate switch. Image  my replacement switch has Intermediate written on it.

I can't link to your images, so if you have a new intermediate, then you need to review the connections in the old one then the new one and what the instructions say

It's quite simple.

If the switch has THREE terminals it will be a 2 way switch.  I expect two of your three switches will be like this.  If so it's replacement needs to be another 2 way switch.

If the switch has FOUR terminals it will be an intermediate and the replacement will also need to be an intermediate.  I expect only one of your switches will be like this.

As above your links to the pictures ask me to sign in so I think you have posted the wrong link or not made them for public viewing?

1_actual_switch_with_wiring.jpg

2_view_of_rear_of_switch.jpg

3_view_of_terminals.jpg

4_new_single_gang_switch.jpg

Thanks Murdoch and ProDave for your feedback. There are two two way switches in the circuit. I appreciate what you both say, but think I am using two intermediate switches. 

I've managed to attach viewable images, apologies for that.

If you are trying to connect an intermediate switch in place of a 2 way switch (which I think is now the issue) do this:

2 way switch                                       Intermediate switch

COM                                                    Top left hand L1

L1                                                        Top Right hand L1

L2                                                        Bottom left hand L2

It’s interesting that the 2 G switch has 1 2way and 1 intermediate - that’s not a standard config

is that one of the old ones, or one of the new ones?

It’s interesting that the 2 G switch has 1 2way and 1 intermediate - that’s not a standard config

is that one of the old ones, or one of the new ones?
I think that's an old one and looks to be a grid switch to get that make up.

The only other ones I know you can mix and match are Click Mode.

why do people think that using 25mm back boxes and cramming it all in is acceptable?
Hi,

I have to agree about the box. It’s a mare, this an old house pre gyroc with compressed fibre board over a layer of 6 mm plywood. Behind that it looks like tongue and groove.

this particular room had been gyp rocked on top of the compressed fibre board.

Latest posts