Intruder alarms

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppy

Reaction score
Hi guys

looking to install a new intruder alarm in my house, i want 5 detectors / sensors and to key pads ( 1 by the front door and 1 at the top of the stairs), but don't really know much about alarm systems.

Just wondered if wireless or normal alrarms are best and what are good brands of alarm?

Also because of the set up I want, would i be able to buy a kit, or would I have to assemble the bits myself?

Also, were is best to buy from?

Thanks

Craig

Personally I would go for 1 of texecoms veritas R8 panels. 8 zones (so if you use 5 for detectors you still have 3 spare) can use multiple keypads. It's a wired system which is more reliable than wireless. I your up for the work of running the cables then go wired. If you decide wireless go fo the Infiniti stuff. Back to texecom, you can get the stuff from many electrical wholesalers and their installer manual is great. Also, get some texecom reflex PIR's (look nicer than the bottom of range medusa) and 1 of their bell boxes. That way all manuals will match up and its a doddle. Each detecor requires a 6 core cable, 5 cores for the bell box, keypads / door contacts needs 4 core. I personally run 6 core to eveything, you could run 8 core to build in some redundancy in case 1 core gives up in the future. Be sure to keep the alarm cables away from mains cables were possible.

I'm babbling on a bit now and could go on forever. Just ask if you have any other questions.

Thanks Barx, I really appreciate your help.

Feel free to go on, the more you bable the more I learn! Better to learn of other peoples experiences!

Thanks again, think am going to look at a wired set up!

I don't like wireless because when it goes wrong its more of a problem to find why its gone wrong and put right but thats just my opinion.

Personally I would go for 1 of texecoms veritas R8 panels. 8 zones (so if you use 5 for detectors you still have 3 spare) can use multiple keypads. It's a wired system which is more reliable than wireless. I your up for the work of running the cables then go wired. If you decide wireless go fo the Infiniti stuff. Back to texecom, you can get the stuff from many electrical wholesalers and their installer manual is great. Also, get some texecom reflex PIR's (look nicer than the bottom of range medusa) and 1 of their bell boxes. That way all manuals will match up and its a doddle. Each detecor requires a 6 core cable, 5 cores for the bell box, keypads / door contacts needs 4 core. I personally run 6 core to eveything, you could run 8 core to build in some redundancy in case 1 core gives up in the future. Be sure to keep the alarm cables away from mains cables were possible. I'm babbling on a bit now and could go on forever. Just ask if you have any other questions.
if anyone needs a adobe copy of a texecom manual then i have texecom installation and user manuals on this laptop ;)

if anyone needs a adobe copy of a texecom manual then i have texecom installation and user manuals on this laptop ;)
I also have a good few hard copy manuals for the veritas. I've fitted probably > 1000 panels. And all I can say is everyone must not have got their manuals lol. Company I used to work for printed their own 'Easy guide' so the not so clever folks didn't get their proper manual so not to confuse them.

I also have a good few hard copy manuals for the veritas. I've fitted probably > 1000 panels. And all I can say is everyone must not have got their manuals lol. Company I used to work for printed their own 'Easy guide' so the not so clever folks didn't get their proper manual so not to confuse them.
Image579.jpg

i download all the security manuals i need from a security website and store them on a private memory stick so i can use the manuals with my lapto on site tosave on carrying all the manuals in paper book form!

Latest posts