Inverter size question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gubster

Reaction score
Hiya. As it happens, I’m in a position of needing a larger inverter limited to 16A. Is this a complex process?

Split from hi-jacked post

Last edited by a moderator:
Not difficult at all.
Thanks for your time, Binky. Some context for you… had a system installed last year that consisted of 12 panels, a Growatt SPH5000 inverter, and Growatt 6.5kw battery. The novice installers I used notified the DNO after installation, and when I chased them for the sign off paperwork months later they said the DNO have said the system needs limiting. Installers have now vanished and not responding to my emails, and I’m left with a system that’s sending too much back to the grid, which I can’t get any money for from my provider as the paperwork is not all in place!

Have you heard of this kind of situation before? Would you think another solar installer would take on the job?

Thanks for your time, Binky. Some context for you… had a system installed last year that consisted of 12 panels, a Growatt SPH5000 inverter, and Growatt 6.5kw battery. The novice installers I used notified the DNO after installation, and when I chased them for the sign off paperwork months later they said the DNO have said the system needs limiting. Installers have now vanished and not responding to my emails, and I’m left with a system that’s sending too much back to the grid, which I can’t get any money for from my provider as the paperwork is not all in place!

Have you heard of this kind of situation before? Would you think another solar installer would take on the job?
Apologies for butting in here, limiting the export is easy on your Growatt Inverter. If you access the settings via the shineserver on your PC you will find:
Growatt Settings.png

Note towards the bottom 'Set Export Limit' in my case it's off but if for example the DNO said 3kW maximum export, set it to on and 3kw is 60% of your inverter capacity, set the limit to 60. You then have to put the key in to save, the key is the date in reverse order eg today is 20230605 press yes and the jobs done.

First, contact MCS if they were registered with them and complain formally.

Breach of contract means you should win all monies back in court

If they are trying to wind up the company, you can stop that via companies house.

Would you take on someone's lash up if you were already busy as hell with work? I doubt very much any other installer will take it on.

Apologies for butting in here, limiting the export is easy on your Growatt Inverter. If you access the settings via the shineserver on your PC you will find:
View attachment 15550

Note towards the bottom 'Set Export Limit' in my case it's off but if for example the DNO said 3kW maximum export, set it to on and 3kw is 60% of your inverter capacity, set the limit to 60. You then have to put the key in to save, the key is the date in reverse order eg today is 20230605 press yes and the jobs done.
Thanks! I’ve given it a go. Just waiting for a sunny day now, to see if the export levels off.

Latest posts