IR Testing 3-Phase 4 Wire

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1

Forum Founder
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

On a 3 Phase, 4 Wire Insulation Resistance test...

What order would you display the results, Please?

1. Phase to Phase

2. Phase to Earth

3. Phase to Neutral

4. neutral to Earth

(Is the order that I was told to test them in college).

I can't help but think the order should be:

1. Phase to Earth

2. Neutral to Earth

3. Phase to Phase

4. Phase to Neutral

What do you think Guys?

Could you also confirm the 3 phase new colours that YOU use to replace each old 3 phase colour please?

Many Thanks.

Red

Yellow

Blue

New three phase colours are Blue Neutral L1 Brown L2 Black L3 Grey I will have a think about the other part of the question.

batty

Thanks Batty - What about the 3 Ph 4 Wire IR test sequence Please?

agree with above but there is some confusion where your using a three core swa for single phase supply ie.temps if your using all three cores what colour are you going to use for neutral and earth.are you going to sleeve/tape the grey blue for neutral and the black sleeve/tape green/yellow

yours benji

On the iee certificates I use results are p-p and then p-e. I normally test that way. But I don't think it matters which way you test as long as all test are done. But if I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me.

batty

Their is a thread already running on this. I personally use Black as neutral and Grey as earth have done since new wiring was introduced. From reading post in previous threads a lot of other sparks do it the other way but as long as it is sleeved you are complying with regs.

batty

(Armoured cables on single phase)

agree with above but there is some confusion where your using a three core swa for single phase supply ie.temps if your using all three cores what colour are you going to use for neutral and earth.are you going to sleeve/tape the grey blue for neutral and the black sleeve/tape green/yellowyours benji
If I understand you correctly Benji.

I use:

Brown - Phase

Grey - Neutral Sleeved Blue

Black - Cpc sleeved Gn/Ylw

On the iee certificates I use results are p-p and then p-e. I normally test that way. But I don't think it matters which way you test as long as all test are done. But if I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me.batty
True. As long as you clearly state which test gives which result it doesn`t matter.

Personally I go :

Phase-Phase

Phase-Earth

Phase-Neutral

Earth-Neutral

Less pratting around with the crocodile clips, they never seem to work very well at the best of times. :^O

Their is a thread already running on this. I personally use Black as neutral and Grey as earth have done since new wiring was introduced. From reading post in previous threads a lot of other sparks do it the other way but as long as it is sleeved you are complying with regs.batty

I concur with batty on this

I always test in the order it says on the cert normally P/P P/N P/E N/E (niceic cert)

Their is a thread already running on this. I personally use Black as neutral and Grey as earth have done since new wiring was introduced. From reading post in previous threads a lot of other sparks do it the other way but as long as it is sleeved you are complying with regs.batty

Dont start Steptoe of on this again I use Black as Neutral when the colours are Brown/black/grey

As for the IR I do L/L L/N L/CPC N/CPC CJS

Dont start Steptoe of on this again I use Black as Neutral when the colours are Brown/black/grey
That was the way that I used to do it, Before I was told that the black is not to be associated with the old Neutral colour Black.

I was told to use Black, sleeved blue (Neutral) and Grey Sleeved Gn/Ylw for Cpc.

But I ain't getting into all that again. ; \

I do it so it is Brown L1 Black L2 and Grey L3.

I dont think it matters as long as u identify the results on your sheet.

When it comes to using it single phase why does it matter wht colour u use as long as u clearly identify it. ?:|

Might be talking about the wrong thing here and I'm a newbie so probably completely wrong but I thought 3-phase had to be sleeved to say L1,L2,L3 and not sleeved by colours.

On three phase

Blue is Neutral

L1 is Brown

L2 is Black

L3 is Grey

unless you are using Brown single core cables then they would have to be marked up as L1,L2 and L3

I concur with batty on this I always test in the order it says on the cert normally P/P P/N P/E N/E (niceic cert)
Thanks Cheggers.

And Thanks Guys. :)