Is moving notifiable and/or should become metal replacement?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OnOff   Do you reckon they could be used in ,say,   a domestic garage ,remote from the house  ....or should you get a priest in to exorcise  them .  

15 way in a non attached garage! That's more than a few too many circuits for the garage! Or some mental wiring runs / ducts back to the main house...No risk of fire spread though.

I'm just hoping they'll increase in value! :)

Scottish building regs say the wiring must comply with BS7671. So although that is not law, you have to follow that for a new build to get it signed off by building control.

A rewire does not normally need building regs approval, so you might argue you could ignore BS7671?  However a full rewire of a flat or 3 storey house should have building regs approval up here.

Re attached garages. An attached garage has to have a fireproof wall and if applicabe ceiling between it and the house and any door mus be a fire door. So a garage is already a "fireproof enclosure" so does that mean a plastoc CU in an attached garage is fine?

Last edited by a moderator:
Scottish building regs say the wiring must comply with BS7671. So although that is not law, you have to follow that for a new build to get it signed off by building control.

A rewire does not normally need building regs approval, so you might argue you could ignore BS7671?  However a full rewire of a flat or 3 storey house should have building regs approval up here.

Is that the exact wording PD?

"must comply with BS7671"

As usual the devil is in the detail.

Does is say the current version, a dated reference, or just BS7671?

Which document is it contained in?

As in one could argue the version of the BS applicable at the time the regs were written. Good point.

That is an interesting question.

My house is being built to the 2013 version of Scottish building regs as that is what was in force when my building warrant application was submitted. Although I started the build in 2015, the 2015 version of the regs had not yet come into force.  It does not matter how long I take to finish, it will only ever have to meet the 2013 regs.

Now within the 2013 version of Scottish building regs it references BS7671:2008  So by the same token it would appear it does not matter how many times BS7671 is updated, my new build only has to apply to the 2008 version.

The actual wording of the important sentence is

"An electrical installation should be designed, constructed, installed and tested such that it is in accordance with the recommendations of BS7671:2008"

and it makes reference to the model forms in BS7671:2008 as being the required documents that building control will need.

No doubt later versions of the Scottish building regs will reference whatever version of BS7671 was in force at the time.

This is pretty standard within the new build sector. 

I have done many a new build that had its design passed prior to newer versions of bs7671 being issued and we still only had to install to the approved designed status, this on some sites has meant that the last houses have been wired to a version of bs7671 that has been superseded by a version not just an amendment, which in my mind is wrong? 

So a new house owner wants some additional Electrcial work done and calls in an independent sparks who then announces that the house electrics is out of date with today's regulations so wants to make additions to make the install compliant with current regulations prior to doing the works that house owner actually wanted done, then the original new build installer is seen to be of cowboy nature by house owner when in fact they have done nothing wrong? 

This is the rub.

IF the building regulations refer to BS7671 without a date.

When the wiring regs are updated, this means that the building regs are automatically updated by BS7671.

The "government" makes laws, not BSI/IET.

IF an undated reference is used, it means that the current version of BS7671 when issues automatically becomes part of the Building Regulations, and thus "law"...

If they quote a dated reference, then only the dated version applies.

It also then does not become law.

Therefore, for compliance with building regulations, you do not have to comply with the latest version of BS7671, only the one listed in the relevant BR document, e.g. Part P document etc.

If you look at the current version in England then it refers only to Amd1 2011

In Wales it still refers to the 16th, as in BS7671:2001+A12004+A2:2004.

So all that is required to comply with building regulations is compliance with these versions, not the latest version...

OK, the ONLY requirement for a non-combustible consumer unit is within a domestic dwelling, or attached outbuilding whereby it is reasonable for a fire to propagate to the main building.
 as I undertand it, this basically translates to understairs cupboards where CU is mounted to exposed timbers / wood.  I doubt a CU mounted to plasterboard would ever be a problem, except where excessive cable entries into, say,  a wall may allow transmission of fire to combustible materials. Seeing as  alot of sparkies have taken to kncoking out all the cable entries in metal boards and fitting plastic trunking to maintain IP rating, the fire suppresion rating of metal is almost certainly compromised in a lot of instances anyway - another grey area non-sense!