is my circuit diagram correct

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliraja1234

Reaction score
question 1)
practicing this on my practice board at home, just wanted a heads up if this is the correct wiring. any help or advice would be great cheers!

Basically a 2 gang switch which should operate 2 outdoor lights together and the other switch should turn on all 4 spotlights together

i have attached my circuit diagram below
:)

(the earths have been ignored just to make the diagram look a bit neater)

question 2) would this be rewirable to control both switches without having a twin and cpc wire between outdoor 1 and spotlight junction

Attachments

• IMG_4840.jpg
    IMG_4840.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 1
nice try but the spotlight at the top will be on all the time and outdoor light 2 has no switch
Outdoor light 1 and 2 needs to be on the same time so doesn’t need a switch. In regards to the spotlight how would I fix that part. Would you be able to send me the amended diagram please ?

You are so nearly there, it wouldn’t be beneficial for us to do the drawing for you.
Tip: a switch breaks the permanent feed, without it the lights are on all the time. Now follow switch wires.

This is your second thread on the same topic. I find it extremely worrying you are undertaking these works in someone else's property even though it is a family member. These are rudimentary lighting circuits which should be second nature however it seems you do not have a grasp of the basics. In your other thread two members appear to be offering help if you gave some idea of your location in London but you decided to try and delete that thread and start this one.

This is your second thread on the same topic. I find it extremely worrying you are undertaking these works in someone else's property even though it is a family member. These are rudimentary lighting circuits which should be second nature however it seems you do not have a grasp of the basics. In your other thread two members appear to be offering help if you gave some idea of your location in London but you decided to try and delete that thread and start this one.
This is not related to any job that I am doing, I don’t think it’s right for you to assume anything. It none of your business! This is just a platform for you to help people on, not to interrogate!

Thank you very much appreciated quick question though why have you put the lights connected to loop and neutral on outdoor light 2.
Ignore the names you have given to the connections. The central block of three connections that you term live distributes the live feed. On outdoor light2 you really move the brown wires onto the pair of terminals on the left marked live. I should have moved the wires across but I was using my phone and it wasnt easy changing the drawing.

Ignore the names you have given to the connections. The central block of three connections that you term live distributes the live feed. On outdoor light2 you really move the brown wires onto the pair of terminals on the left marked live. I should have moved the wires across but I was using my phone and it wasnt easy changing the drawing.
Ohh okay no worries thank you, I shall make these modifications to my board. Just trying to to make sense out of all of this

I hate to say this and I will probably be criticised but here goes:

Are you SURE you want to be an electrician? You seem to have a basic lack of any understanding of how electrical circuits work and how to design a simple light switching circuit. This makes you a poor and possibly dangerous electrician. Even if you can get one or 2 standard switching circuits fixed in your head so you can connect them and make them work, you will still be totally lost when you encounter something that does not work and you are expected to use your knowledge of electrical circuits to fault find and correct the non working circuit.

I chose electrics as my career as it was a subject that interested me and I understood the principles and it all made perfect sense to me. Right from an early age as a boy I had lots of fun making electrical circuits with batteries, switches and lamps and it all made sense, so i knew this was the career for me as I understood it.

It seems like you don't have that natural understanding, so I would be seriously questioning if this is the right career choice for you?

(off to get my tin hat)

Are you SURE you want to be an electrician? You seem to have a basic lack of any understanding of how electrical circuits work and how to design a simple light switching circuit. This makes you a poor and possibly dangerous electrician. Even if you can get one or 2 standard switching circuits fixed in your head so you can connect them and make them work, you will still be totally lost when you encounter something that does not work and you are expected to use your knowledge of electrical circuits to fault find and correct the non working circuit.

I chose electrics as my career as it was a subject that interested me and I understood the principles and it all made perfect sense to me. Right from an early age as a boy I had lots of fun making electrical circuits with batteries, switches and lamps and it all made sense, so i knew this was the career for me as I understood it.

It seems like you don't have that natural understanding, so I would be seriously questioning if this is the right career choice for you?

(off to get my tin hat)
I do it part time, I am still learning okay. It not my full on blown career. If I did do it day in and an day out obviously I would know everything. I’m still learning and teaching myself as I go along. I have a board at home that I am practicing on.

It just sounds as though you are being arrogant and rude. All I’m asking for is some help.

This is not related to any job that I am doing, I don’t think it’s right for you to assume anything. It none of your business! This is just a platform for you to help people on, not to interrogate!

Ohh okay no worries thank you, I shall make these modifications to my board. Just trying to to make sense out of all of this
Can you show a pic of your board.

I do it part time, I am still learning okay. It not my full on blown career. If I did do it day in and an day out obviously I would know everything. I’m still learning and teaching myself as I go along. I have a board at home that I am practicing on.

It just sounds as though you are being arrogant and rude. All I’m asking for is some help.
I don't believe @ProDave is arrogant and rude he is a very helpful member however @johnb2713 has corrected your schematic and now you should be able to crack on.

I said that if your local to my work, I would call in and help you out,
we have not even go into the design of the circuit yet , I hate to think of what cable and MCB you are using
I was trying to save you life or someone else's life,

I said that if your local to my work, I would call in and help you out,
we have not even go into the design of the circuit yet , I hate to think of what cable and MCB you are using
I was trying to save you life or someone else's life,
It’s a diagram it’s not real, it’s just my test board at my home brother please relax

(off to get my tin hat)
IMHO youre showing as a true friend, one who is giving really sound advice even though it's likely not to be well received. It's such a difficult situation.

My foray into electical work started with Mecanno, they made an electrics add on kit Electrikit. You made motors, buzzers and did all sorts of things with lights etc. I was aged 5 at the time. By the time I was 10, I was doing additional work at home including a new consumer unit (Wylex with the white, blue and red dots on the wired fuses LOL). The rest is history into the steelworks as an apprentice electrician, working my up through the to department engineer.

There is great potential for this work to go wrong and the results can be catastrophic. I think you did a great think to make the OP question his ability. "When ability exceeds ambition, or ambition exceeds ability, the likelihood of success is limited."