Is powering a shed with light and socket from a spurred SWA cable certifiable?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gocsan

Reaction score
Just thought it would be a good idea to post a separate question, which is a follow up to my previous question at 

So just to summarize, I have an existing steel wired armoured cable in my garden that is a spur from a fused switch from my living room ring main. Ideally I would like to use the existing cable to power a light and sockets in my new shed. I'm planning to hire an electrician to install the light and sockets using the existing SWA cable.

I've just called up an electrician and one of the questions he asked was if this SWA cable is directly connected from the consumer unit. So I've explained to the electrician that the SWA cable is a single spur from a fused switch that is part of a ring main to my living room. Apparently he said that he would not be able to certify this shed work as any cabling to the garden would require a separate circuit breaker connection on its own directly to the consumer unit and he would not use the current setup with the spurred SWA cable. Without a spare switch in my consumer unit, he said I'll have to upgrade my consumer unit with more circuit breaker slots and have a new cable connecting from the consumer unit to the shed. At this point I said I'll think about it.

Is there no way other way to do this that would be part P certifiable other than go along with what the electrician said? Going direct to the CU would be too much trouble and costly as I'll have to change my CU as there are no free slots left and I can't think of any way to route the cable from my CU to the outside without ripping off my lovely floorboards and tiles in my house.

Just to get a second opinion from other electricians here, is powering outdoor electricity to the inside of the shed with light and sockets from a ring main (with a fused switch) something that electricians would certify?

Last edited by a moderator:
All electrical changes undertaken by a competent person should be tested and a certificate provided. This is different from Part P compliance....

he's talking lettuced. Many sheds and garages are spurred from a socket circuit. It is not necessarily the best set-up, but as long as it's all fused/ earthed correctly there is nothing wrong with it.

It is perfectly acceptable to have it on a fused spur, preferably a switched one.

As above, it is certifiable, and there is no reason it couldn't be certified with the above arrangement, providing it has been done correctly.

It is perfectly acceptable to have it on a fused spur, preferably a switched one.

As above, it is certifiable, and there is no reason it couldn't be certified with the above arrangement, providing it has been done correctly.
 If you are lucky, the SWA to the shed is sufficiently large as to not need fusing down and could have a double pole isolator instead of the fused spur. This means it would isolate Live and Neutral, so that if you have any issues with shed in a few years time (common) that may cause you to lose house sockets, you simply isolate shed until fault can be fixed.

If you are lucky, the SWA to the shed is sufficiently large as to not need fusing down and could have a double pole isolator instead of the fused spur. This means it would isolate Live and Neutral, so that if you have any issues with shed in a few years time (common) that may cause you to lose house sockets, you simply isolate shed until fault can be fixed.
Serious question, and I haven't really ever thought about it, 

Aren't most decent SFS DP,?

But yes, if sufficiently sized cable, then simply a DP switch is preferable, I actually have my own shed on a DP switch, albeit a 40a one, I have a 10mm SWA on a 40a MCB on a non RCD protected way in my cu, I still like the idea of being able to isolate it under fault condition, or for general maintenance.