Is this lamp dangerous?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

confusedplug

Reaction score
Hi purchased this lamp from Amazon recently. I know, I know - won't be buying any electrical items from Amazon again in the future, trust me..!

By happenstance, I took the plug apart and realised it hasn't got an earth wire. The label on the plug definitely shows one but it's not there when you take it apart.

I know electrical items in the UK don't always need grounding - but does anyone know if that's the case here?
- there's no double insulated symbol (square in a square) on the product anywhere as far as I can see
- the long pin on the plug is made of metal not plastic
- the lamp itself is mainly made from metal

The fuse that came with the lamp also came apart after a little bit of a tug - nothing but a thin bit of metal inside - could anyone give any advice on whether this fuse could also be a fake?

The plug does have a BSI mark but BSI have confirmed the number is from a company that shut down ~6 years ago. It's likely not a real mark.

Someone also pointed out to me that a lamp would ordinarily only need a 3A fuse. Would anyone know if there's a good reason why this item would be fitted with 13A instead?

Very interested to know more as this lamp is one of the most popular electrical lighting items on Amazon. Scary to think how many thousands of people in this country might own this item if it is indeed as dangerous as I'm starting to think it might be?

It's 230V FYI.

Attachments

• IMG_4178.JPG
    IMG_4178.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4182.JPG
    IMG_4182.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 16
Fake fuse. (No sand inside it)
Did you undo the bottom 2 screws of the plug to open it? (It's just that the cord grip is missing)
Pictures of the light itself would help

Thanks both for your replies.

Doubt that the 13A fuse is correct
Is there a wattage rating ?W on it?
Is there a symbol,of a square inside a bigger square on the label?

If so,it is double insulated and does not need an Earth
No wattage rating anywhere on the lamp - it's advertised as 7W on the original listing

No double insulated symbol on lamp either

Fake fuse. (No sand inside it)
Did you undo the bottom 2 screws of the plug to open it? (It's just that the cord grip is missing)
Pictures of the light itself would help

Yes, did undo the bottom 2 screws. There was/is a cord grip which is missing from the photo.

Will update with a photo of lamp & cord grip for you in a second.

If the lamp holder is not metal an earth is not required. The fuse is almost certainly a fake and should be 3A, send the whole thing back I would not trust it as being safe.

If the lamp holder is not metal an earth is not required. The fuse is almost certainly a fake and should be 3A, send the whole thing back I would not trust it as being safe.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I will be returning this - zero desire to keep using it. I'm asking questions because I'm shocked to find such a popular item (& apparently made by a UK company) could be so dangerous. I suspect 1000s (10,000s?) people own this lamp in this country. Just shocking, really. I'd like to make a complaint to Amazon & to get this taken off the website if it really is dangerous. Would like to ensure I'm not completely talking out of my arse before I kick up a fuss...

Some photos of the bulb holder attached.

Seems to be a mixture of ceramic(?) and metal. Would it therefore require earthing to be safely used?

Attachments

• IMG_4226.JPG
    IMG_4226.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4224.JPG
    IMG_4224.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4225.JPG
    IMG_4225.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 16
The exposed part of the lamp holder is some kind of ceramic and the metal of the angle-poise has a sheathed cable through it and would not require an earth.

The fuse is to protect the cable not the lamp. If the cable is suitable for 13 amps you cannot condemn a 13 amp fuse. (Apart from the fact it is a fake one). The same lamp sold elsewhere would have a Europlug and plug into a 16 amp fused Schuko socket and be considered safe.

The fuse is to protect the cable not the lamp. If the cable is suitable for 13 amps you cannot condemn a 13 amp fuse. (Apart from the fact it is a fake one). The same lamp sold elsewhere would have a Europlug and plug into a 16 amp fused Schuko socket and be considered safe.
But it isn't suitable for 13A.

One of the photos of the bulb holder shows two screw heads - I hope they don’t have continuity to the touchable metalwork and shade!