Is this VINTAGE desk lamp safe ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barwen18

Reaction score
Hi,

I am hoping someone might be able to help me before someone gets a nasty shock!

I have a working vintage all metal  (copper) desk lamp including the switch . I am not getting a shock from it when handling it in either the off position or the on position.

I am however getting a very faint glow on my neon screwdriver from both the switch and the body the lamp but only when the switch is in the on position.

When checking with my multi-meter there is no reading at all when connected to the switch or the body of the lamp so why the glow on my neon tester ?

Is this safe and should it be happening ?

Hope you can help.

Thanks Barry

Probably an induced voltage, but proper testing e.g with an insulation tester would tell you if the old cable insulation is breaking down.

I am willing to bet it only has a 2 core flex so no earth.  It would be a good idea to rewire it with a 3 core flex so the metal body of the lamp is earthed. Then any fault would trip the appropriate rcd or mcb rather than give the user a shock.

What is the lamp holder constructed with and as above what type of cord supplies it.

Probably an induced voltage, but proper testing e.g with an insulation tester would tell you if the old cable insulation is breaking down.

I am willing to bet it only has a 2 core flex so no earth.  It would be a good idea to rewire it with a 3 core flex so the metal body of the lamp is earthed. Then any fault would trip the appropriate rcd or mcb rather than give the user a shock.
Thank you for your quick and explanatory reply to my question. Much appreciated.

What is the lamp holder constructed with and as above what type of cord supplies it.
Many thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. Lamp holder is brass but I still get a neon glow without the lamp holder connected as I thought that could be the issue so disconnected to test it. Presently using modern 2 core cord but intend to purchase vintage style 3 core.

It will be a whole lot safer with an earth. If you are concerned to preserve the vintage appearance cloth braided cable is available.  

https://www.lampspares.co.uk/3-core-braided-antique-brass-individually-twisted-0-75mm-plu10268/?gclid=CjwKCAjw3riIBhAwEiwAzD3TiStI6mpVWPH6ApprAjaTRWpyHV98pacDsq2R-pnn3xMnu_YaJz1jmhoC6doQAvD_BwE
Hi

Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated. Yes I i intend to purchase 3 core vintage flex so as to earth.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. Lamp holder brass but I thought this may be the problem so disconnected it but still getting neon faint glow when touching casing. Presently using modern 2 core flex but intend to purchase vintage 3 core.

Rewire it in the 3 core flex as suggested, then if you can, find somebody who can stick it on a PAT machine or do an earth continuity test and insulation resistance tests on it to ensure it's fit for use. 

Hi abd thankyou to all who took time to answer my question. Pleased to say that once I rewired with 3 core and earthed the casing I no longer get a glow from my neon tester. Many thanks guys. Barry

Thanks. All sorted when rewired with 3 core. Ma y thanks. Barry