Isolation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWDS

Reaction score
Iam doing ( still ) a rewire and it has an existing socket behind the built in cooker ( fan ass ), my question is will I need to put local isolation in for maintainance purposes ????????????.

regards Iain

this is the way i look at it

if i need to turn it off quick can i do it without pulling the equipment away from the socket ?

if not then isolation switch

IMO

this is one of the areas where the regs don't specifically says what should be done...

But common sense says

If its your Granny's kitchen and sparks and smoke start coming from the oven...

would you prefer to have to easily accessible isolation switch..

or rather get the 4 screws out....

slide the oven forward and then unplug it!??? ?:|

The electricians guide to building regulations says this.

page 56 5.2.2 Location of accessories in kitchens.

(viii)

Appliances built into kitchen furniture (integrated appliances) should be connected to a socket-outlet or fused connection unit that is readily accessible when the appliance is in place and in normal use or supplied from a socket-outlet or other connected device controlled by a readily accessible double pole switch or switched fused connection unit.

this is the 2005 issue of the book.. pre 17th.. but in this case don't think makes any difference?
"readily accessible" is a phrase here!!! ;)

But as said don't think there is a specific regulation..

there are regs relating to emergency switching '537.4.2'

but this is more to do with machinery in industrial situations...

i.e. where much greater H&S issue! ;)

Thanks SL, I will be putting the socket through an isolator ( FSU or 20amp dp sw ) that is marked up cooker/hood supply, I just wanted another opinion on it before I did it, It would be best practice.

regards Iain

for you chaps, Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

Iam doing ( still ) a rewire and it has an existing socket behind the built in cooker ( fan ass ), my question is will I need to put local isolation in for maintainance purposes ????????????.regards Iain
If you're doing a rewire why are you leaving a socket behind a built in cooker? Why not move the socket or remove the socket?

If you're doing a rewire why are you leaving a socket behind a built in cooker? Why not move the socket or remove the socket?
There are many ovens that only take less than 13a..

and they come with a 13a plug moulded on the end of the lead attached to the oven....

common with "single ovens" with separate stand-alone hob unit!

welcome back Apache m8!

Admin was getting worried? :|

Did I read it is your BIRTHDAY tomorrow???

21st???? ?:| ; \

There are many ovens that only take less than 13a..and they come with a 13a plug moulded on the end of the lead attached to the oven....

common with "single ovens" with separate stand-alone hob unit!

I never knew that!

welcome back Apache m8! Cheers

Admin was getting worried? :|

Did I read it is your BIRTHDAY tomorrow??? Aye

21st???? ?:| ; 26th\
:^O

congrats for the morrow apache, but as SL said alot of the fan assisted ovens come with a moulded plug on them so I was going like for like, I thought about chopping the plug off etc but decided against it.

regards Iain

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

*sigh*Yes it's my birthday tomorrow (21st)

I will be 26

clear :D
right now thats sorted.........................

WHERES THE FLIPPIN PARTY? ?:|

i'll bring the keys to KME's beer cupboard... (he don't need it] :) )

Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

And don't let Flying Scotsman anywhere near the cake...

Till we've all had a slice!!!..

Make sure all the Velux windows are closed... ; \

cuz he might abseil down while your backs turned and nick the lot!!! X(

:p :pGuiness DrinkBlushing:| :x

Thanks SL, I will be putting the socket through an isolator ( FSU or 20amp dp sw ) that is marked up cooker/hood supply, I just wanted another opinion on it before I did it, It would be best practice.regards Iain

You could always put in a dedicated cooker cct