Issuing EIC for building control

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuze-box

Reaction score
What do you need to be qualified to, to issue an EIC for building control.as i understand you need 2391/2381 and i suppose need to be registered with your local building control. ?:|

Any one shed light on this?

What do you need to be qualified to, to issue an EIC for building control.as i understand you need 2391/2381 and i suppose need to be registered with your local building control. ?:| Any one shed light on this?
Fuze

All you need is to be able to produce a test certificate (which i assume you can) 2381/2 is a help but you dont need 2391

You dont need to register with them

All you need to do is notify them at least 2 days before the start of the job and of course pay them

now here's a thing .......

lets say its

M8:

You DON`T issue a EIC for building control. You either:

a. issue a Building Regs Notification (if you`re with a provider) - who in turn would require EAL level 2 OR 2381 as a minimum qual.

OR

b. You notify building control before work commences. They arrange to visit site - normally three times, and charge you.

You STILL have to produce EIC or MWC as necessary; for customer and/or contractor.

OK??

M8:You DON`T issue a EIC for building control. You either:

a. issue a Building Regs Notification (if you`re with a provider) - who in turn would require EAL level 2 OR 2381 as a minimum qual.

OR

b. You notify building control before work commences. They arrange to visit site - normally three times, and charge you.

You STILL have to produce EIC or MWC as necessary; for customer and/or contractor.OK??
Oh i might have misread the ops post

but if you are unable to test your work an provide the cert then they test it AT THER EXPENSE

Oh i might have misread the ops postbut if you are unable to test your work an provide the cert then they test it AT THER EXPENSE
Do they now??????????????

Yet we can`t sign off someone else`s work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even without the building control involvement.

BUT THEY CAN?????????????????? Dual standards anyone??

Do they now??????????????Yet we can`t sign off someone else`s work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even without the building control involvement.

BUT THEY CAN?????????????????? Dual standards anyone??
That's how its been since day 1 of part P.

You are still looking at this the wrong way. Part P of the building regs is to ensure the building regs are not contravened whilst electrical work is taking place ie, holes in joists, thermal insulation , running cables in straight lines etc. That's why the installing electrician 'should' test and provide a certificate to state the work meets BS7671. When you are assessed as a competent person for this scheme they should be checking you know your building regs as well as the basic 2381 stuff. If you say yes it's ok after a job, then the local BC issues the part P cert.

There has to be a get out clause in case of a contractor disappearing, dying or illegally doing the work. That's why the LABC can appoint some one else to test.

You are still looking at this the wrong way. Part P of the building regs is to ensure the building regs are not contravened whilst electrical work is taking place ie, holes in joists, thermal insulation , running cables in straight lines etc. That's why the installing electrician 'should' test and provide a certificate to state the work meets BS7671. When you are assessed as a competent person for this scheme they should be checking you know your building regs as well as the basic 2381 stuff. If you say yes it's ok after a job, then the local BC issues the part P cert.
That must be the most concise and best explanation of Part P law I have heard yet! :^O

A Scooby Snack for you if the Wizard agrees! B)

Latest posts